Chapter Fourteen: Fracturing Axioms

A/N: *ahem* I don't really have an excuse...just stuff happened.

I think I'll put up a sort of 'progress report' on my updates on my bio/home page so you know where I'm at instead of making you guess all the time. At least this way you can get a general feel of how I'm travelling...Dunno if it'll help but I think it will.

Also..really nervous about this update...probably a big reason why it took so long...

---------------------------------

Chapter Fourteen: Fracturing Axioms

I felt the tingle in my fist before seeing Seth's chin turned in an awkward angle. My mouth opened and closed like a fish outta water before my brain caught up with my body. It hurt.

I stare at my fist, the knuckles turning red. It fucking hurts. Who the fuck thinks it's a good idea to settle anything with fists? Cody did it so easily. My eyes leap back to Seth as he was messaging his jaw. The sting in my eyes intensifies. I wanted to blame it so much on the bruising knuckles. But I knew it was because of the ego bashing that Seth so helpfully gave. But all I could feel was a deep-seated guilt creeping into my bone-weary body mixing in with the panic freezing my blood.

"You've done enough," I wasn't sure who X was pointing that remark at as I feel one of his hands covering my eyes and the rest of his warmth encircling my body from behind. It was calming. Instant like someone turned off the noise.

I hear Seth chuckle, "Deserved. Pretty good swing there, kid."

"Seth," X warns.

"Yeah-yeah-yeah, I get it. Backing off." He let's out a breath before his voice took on a tone I haven't heard before. It was almost distant, it dropped all that sarcasm, almost as icy as I first met him. But more...regretful, "I wanted to say sorry, got a little carried away. But kinda sidelined with what was in front of me."

I pull on X's fingers over my eyes and look directly back at Seth, "I get that you were trying to help but...I can't do it like this."

A half smile appears on his lips, "Yeah. That's ok. And you're ok for not wanting to continue. We still have time. But I think X was right and what just happened kinda just confirmed it."

I blink up at X, "Right about what?"

"That you lack self-preservation," Seth snorts.

I bitterly mutter, "I'm just afraid of being alone."

"Isn't everyone?"

Silence settles in again and I wanted to go look for some painkillers to get rid of this headache that's been bugging me again.

"Alright, I'm heading back. Siem also wants you to go up to his office tomorrow to check up on you."

Surprised the Viking remembers I still exist.

"But I think we're on to something, though," He adds.

I look back at him, "Seth-"

He puts a hand up, "Cool it, mate. I'm not suggesting anything just yet. But do you still want to be able to control this?" He motions with a hand to the door that I managed to blast from its hinges, lying broken on the floor with ice still growing over it and the floor in a sheet of prickling hoar frost.

I stare at the door then slowly back at Seth, "I...don't really know." It's scary. That other me is scary. Lady calls it 'Dream Eater'. "But..." I try to continue, "I still don't want to keep feeling like this."

Seth's eyes flick over to X was a resigning sigh, "I'll leave it to you." He then trudges through the door back out into the tunnels.

'Chimera looks serious. Lady stay out of way.' Lady soon follows with a flick of her tail, leaving only me and X behind in the frigid dark.