Chapter 14

Xan hastily released me from my restraints, but although I had regained movement, my limbs felt like jello.  I tumbled forward from my confines and Xan quickly caught me as the soundtrack of alarms continued to ring.

The footsteps drew closer as Xan pulled me into his arms and I felt my cheeks burn.  "I won't let anyone take you," he said as I struggled to hold on tightly.  I felt so relieved to see him.  This galaxy was so dangerous, but it felt safer with him.

He turned and we were immediately face to face with a female being of red skin.  She resembled the beings that worked for Deek, but her skin was a much paler red, almost just a rosy glow.  Her hair fell to her shoulders in loose curly turquoise waves.  Her golden eyes narrowed as she pointed what looked like a laser gun in our direction.  A winding beep sounded while red lights blinked on the side.

"Put the being down," she hissed at Xan, who arched an eyebrow in confusion.  "You're surrounded."

I noticed one more being cornering us, a Roxan male with spikey violet hair, pointing a laser at us as well.

"I'm not going to hurt her," Xan informed.

The woman's face twisted in disgust.  "You think I'd believe that?  You disgusting narcissists think you can take exotic organisms and play God without any regard to galatic rights or ethics.  We will not allow it!"

Xan huffed in annoyance.  "I am not one of those beings.  I am trying to save her and you are getting in my way."

Suddenly, a low laugh burst from behind us.

"Xan?  You saving and housing an illegal being?  That doesn't sound very 'by the books'?"

A Torian man with ruby red hair wore a large grin as he revealed himself to us and Xan relaxed. 

"Neron, why am I not surprised you're here?"  Xan moaned.

The man walked over to the wall where a touchpad was mounted and he punched in a code that suddenly stopped the sirens.

"Neron, you know this thief?" The woman asked confused, lowering her laser only so slightly.

Neron smirked as the beings who were serving Deek before came rushing into the room, but to my surprise, they stopped before Neron, as if awaiting direction.  He spoke to them in their language and they responded urgently.  Neron responded quickly and they rushed off, grabbing the exotic plants that had been loaded into this place and taking them outside.

Neron directed his attention to the woman. 

"Of course, my love.  He's an old friend," Neron replied with a wink at Xan who rolled his eyes.  "But why don't we explain the rest later and get out of here with the cargo.  It seems that although Deek is restrained, he's got some powerful beings on their way.  Seems they were expecting an extravagant auction, but he already gave everything away to one buyer."

I shivered, remembering Alano.  He had plans for me.  I was afraid of what he was capable of more than anyone else.

"Hate to see what they've got planned for him," Neron continued.  "Best we get out of here before they get here."

Xan held me tighter and began to head in the opposite direction, already disconnecting from Neron and whatever his crew was planning, but he wasn't able to elude Neron's watchful gaze.

"You know I'm sure the Torian empire has something real important for you to take care of, Xan, but you might be interested in coming in along with us.  You might learn some valuable information," Neron coaxed with a knowing smile.

Xan looked tired already.  "I'm sure it's nothing I don't already know, but thanks."

The being drew his laser at Xan and the beeping lights forced him to stop in place.