Chapter 35 Deep Inside of You

That energy...

It expelled from her in such a force that it sent me into a state of unconsciousness where my mind swirled with a flurry of everything that had transpired.

I had thought she was dead and when I saw her face, the strangest form of euphoria had flooded my senses, pushing me passed my limits of pain just to hold her in my arms again.

Her skin was so hot though, I could feel the fire emanating from her. It was no wonder such a force could exude from her like that. What had he done to her?

Where was she? Why couldn't I pull myself from this darkness? I wanted to see her. I needed to see that she was alright.

"Xan."

That voice. So familiar.

"Xan, wake up..."

Was it her?

"Aeris..." her name fell from my lips as my eyes finally opened, pierced by the glaring bright lights. There was a presence next to me and I turned my head to face it, expecting those brilliant blue eyes. Instead, I found familiar silver eyes.

"Celestra..." I murmured in realization as an intrigued smiled crossed her rosy lips.

"What exactly is an "Aeris," my dear?" She asked with little concern. She dabbled with her hologram chart, clearly analyzing my stats and I realized quickly I was in her lab.

Her eyes showed little emotion as with most Torians. I expected nothing less from my fiancée. She was a dedicated scientist at the Torian Empire's research lab.

"How did I get here?" I asked, trying to shift focus, though I found myself panicked that Aeris might be here. Things would not fair well for her here if they discovered what she was.

"Some vigilantes called us and we brought you here. Neron's here too. Seems you two got into quite the scrape," she answered, fiddling with some controls on the monitor.

I tried to sit up but she quickly stopped me.

"No," she ordered and I realized I was hooked up to several IVs. "You lost a lot of blood," she informed. "And I took it upon myself to make a couple upgrades to your system while you were under."

I relaxed, there was no getting out of here at the moment.

"Upgrades?" I asked.

She continued to adjust my IVs, making precise measurements and notes. "Yes, your electrical cores needed to be enhanced.  Seeing the condition you came here in, it probably was a good thing." 

The electrical cores were the mechanisms that made me stronger than other Torians.  They intensified the currents in my body and my ability to manipulate the current, as well as the current of other's.

I reached my hand to my wound and felt the thin sliver of where she must have lasered it shut.

"I took care of that as well," she said, noticing in her peripherals as she dispelled her hologram screen and leaned over on the edge of my cot.  Her straight golden locks fell from behind her ears and she placed her chin in her hands with an amused glint in her silver orbs.

"Now, tell me, my love.  Why did you not request backup for such a horrendous battle."

My love. She would say those words and she knew nothing of their meaning.  I didn't even know if I understood them, but I knew they meant something.

"Phoenix Rize is nothing to mess with," she continued.  "You and Neron alone could not handle that.  What were you thinking?"

Raeland. Where was he now.  Did he...die?