Chapter 19

Xan looked like someone had punched him in the stomach.

"You're mad at me," he stated, as if saying it out loud would provide him clarification.

"Spare me," I hissed seething with rage as I started to walk passed him.  I couldn't even look at him without his words ringing in my head.

He reached for my hand, aglow with an azure light.  "It's not what you think," he plead, but I pulled away.

"Don't touch me," I sneered.

"You don't understand, Aeris," he said firmly, almost desperate for me to listen.

"I don't have to be your problem anymore, Xan. I don't want to be a burden. I'll find my own place, just like Teo said."

I saw the flash of green in Xan's intense eyes. "It's not like that."

"It is. I heard you and Neron," I said, the emotions overflowing. Why did this bother me? Maybe it was just the idea of being treated so inferior but coming from Xan it just hurt even more.

"Don't let my existence stop you from living your perfect Torian life," I said, pushing past him and exiting the room.  I didn't look back. There was no point, I would have to matter for my words to mean anything but I knew now that I didn't.

Outside the door I took a deep breath, hoping to calm my nerves. This was so surreal. I had no past and no memories and my future was unknown.  Did I stay here?  I couldn't stay with Xan...not now.

"You okay?" Teo asked, standing nearby.  "I didn't want to go far. I wanted to make sure you were alright."

I nodded. "Im fine."

Teo nodded, but he seemed concerned.

"We are making a stop," he began. "The Ceres we saved from Deek are being dropped off on Naraq. It's sort of a safe haven for all beings. Might be a good place for you to see. The whole universe isn't dangerous."

I nodded as we walked toward the main control area. Inside we found Neron, Trish, Tierian and Ryuna. This was the family that Teo had spoken of. They all grinned happily as we walked inside, except Neron who seemed a little grumpy.

"Are you ready to see Naraq?" Trish asked excitedly.

"It's quite a place," Ryuna chimed in. "The gravitational pull of the main planet has pulled several asteroids into the orbit. They function like floating islands, many of which are capable of habitation."

"It's a refuge of sorts," Tierian added. "Many of our people have collected on Naraq seeking the peaceful life and sanctuary it offers."

Looking through the large windows ahead, I saw the planet they spoke of approaching in the distance. It was as they said, a medium sized planet that had golden oceans and green land masses. Floating majestically around it were several asteroids varying in size that truly did resemble floating islands.

"Wow," I murmured as we drew closer.

Teo grinned at my reaction. "There's a collection of different beings there. You won't have to worry about being accepted, as the general motto is 'acceptance for all'."

Neron huffed. "Yeah but will your handler be alright with you doing something outside of his will?" Clearly whatever words they had earlier were still lingering over his mood.

"Xan's not my handler," I grumbled. "I'll do what I want."

Neron arched a curious and amused eyebrow as Xan joined all of us.

"That's right," he said quietly.  "She is free to do whatever she wants."

Neron smirked, as if he sensed the tension between us.  "So you're not going to drag her off to Meru now?"