9

The next day I decided to wake up early and study for my test I have today for Organic Chemistry. I started taking college classes while in high school, so I'm technically in my second semester as a sophomore and have already volunteered at the hospital a few times. Next year is the major step though, the dreadful MCAT. The big test that will hopefully get me into medical school.

I slowly started getting ready for class, luckily my class started at 11:00 am so I had a chance to get enough sleep (for a college student).

Before heading out the door I grabbed a cute pink knitted cardigan to go over my white t-shirt and blue jeans. Even though it's fall, it's cold. I'm from south Georgia where anything below 65 degrees is chilly.

Walking down the streets I laughed to myself observing everyone in shorts and tank tops, I probably look like southern hick to these people. Most people cant tell I'm from the south until they start talking to to me, I guess my accent and "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" give me away. Or my attempts to order sweet tea at a restaurant. I always heard that the north doesn't have sweet tea, but that's actually not true for some places. Unfortunately, the tea is not nearly as good as it is back home.

It's been a hard transition here, everything is foreign to me. The food taste different due to the lack of butter; the tea is sour due to the non existent pounds of sugar; the air feels lighter due to the lack of humidity. Even the sport teams are weird here, in the south we take our college teams very seriously, every one in my town scream "Go Dawgs!" and we're a bunch of 'Gator Haters'. But up north it's all about the professional football teams, which is strange consider I can't remember the last time I watched a professional game before.

As soon as I arrived on campus I noticed Wes standing by a brick wall, he was looking in the distance not in my direction, so I attempted to sneak past him, but I blew my cover when someone bumped into me and I apologized for it. Another weird thing here, people do not care if they run into you. I grew up learning that always watch where you're going, apologize and other 'southern hospitality'.

"You do know she ran into you, you don't have to apologize," Wes stated not smiling but not frowning either.

"Yeah, well, habit I guess," I murmured as I continued to walk.

"Why are you ignoring me, I've been trying to get in touch with you." Is he stalking me? Should I be more creeped out?

I didn't have an answer to give him. I mean, I did; but nothing I wanted to say. It sounded desperate, and childish and way too long.

"Hello?" He mocked waving at me as he proceeded to follow me. "Just talk to me for one minute."

"I have class."

"Okay, I can wait. Do you want to get lunch or something after?" He asked genuinely confused, however I nodded, knowing that I needed to get to class and just wanted him to leave me alone.

As I walked into my classroom my professor handed me a test and as soon as I sat down I started bubbling in answers. I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little distracted. I started thinking that maybe I was overreacting, we're not dating, we're barley friends, so what is it that draws me in. Am I really one of those girls I read in the books or Wattpad that fall for the 'bad boy'. No, I'm not that cliche- am I? Or am I the cliche small town girl who falls for the city boy and their world collide? I can't be. But maybe there's a reason why all these books are written, maybe opposites really do attract, or maybe we all like a little adventure and a sense of danger and excitement. I mean that has to be the reason why there's not any books about the small town girl falling for the frat guy, none that I've read anyways.

There has to be a reason why all these books are written though, maybe we crave a certain type of romance that challenges us. And the only thing we really want is passion. Or we might just very well enjoy reading fantasy, because that's just what they are. We read these books and we always root for the 'bad boy' to change for the girl, but in reality most girls wouldn't put up with such disrespect.

I shook from my deep thoughts and tried to focus on my test.

Question 50: What alkyl group is described by the following condensed structural formula: -CH₂CH(CH₃)₂?

Isobutyl

As I bubbled in my last answer and double checked to make sure I bubbled in all my answered correctly, I put the test on his desk and walked out.

Charlie's in the next room over, so I'm glad I got out of class early enough to avoid him. I haven't checked my phone all day so hopefully he hasn't texted me. However, it was a surprise not to see him in the hallways due to his many juul breaks.

I walked over to Wes, who was sitting at a bench outside. "That was quick, you just know your stuff," he chuckled standing up and shoving his phone in his pocket. "What would you like for lunch?"

"Do y'all have any good barbecue around here?" I asked. Yes, I've been craving pulled pork, sue me. Georgia has the best barbecue, but every other southern state claims they have they best. I guess it really comes down to what you grew up with.

"We do have a barbecue place, I haven't had it though," he answered. "It's actually right around the corner." I nodded as he lead the way.

He's wearing black jeans that compliments his white t shirt along with a jean jacket that is imperfectly rolled up to his elbows. A put together outfit for a guy that seems to not care about anything.

We eventually sat down in a booth and that's when Wes broke the silence, "stop being mad at me." Did he really just say that? He didn't even say please. "Just tell me whats up."

As soon as I was about to reply our waiter came up to our table asking for our beverages, I got a water and Wes got a Sprite and then we both ordered a regular pulled pork barbecue sandwich, I also ordered a side cole slaw.

"I thought you were a sweet tea girl," he chuckled exposing his almost secret dimples.

"Sweet tea isn't good here," I shrugged leaning back into the out dated cushioned seat.

He laughed, "okay now let's get into the real problem, you've ignored me and then went to the fair with a complete douche bag," he told me as he raised his eyebrows.

"Has it ever crossed you mind that he's not a douche bag and you are?" I questioned.

"And how am I a douche bag, I think I'm quite pleasant," he playfully said.

"Well first of all, You're very moody. Second of all you took me to a club and ignored me for half an hour and told me not to talk to anyone, then we ended up having a pretty good time, well at least I thought so, then you start walking me to your place just to ditch me after another girl called you."

He leaned forwards leaning his elbows on the table. "That's why you've been ignoring me," he paused before saying the most eye rolling statement ever, "you're jealous."

"I barley know you," I scoffed.

He looked taken aback from that comment as if he wasn't expecting such a honest answer. We ended up eating our lunch in silence. The barbecue wasn't awful, but I could tell it wasn't like home.

Wes ended up paying for lunch even though I tried to refuse. "Look I'm sorry for ditching you the other night, I really didn't think it would make you this upset," he apologized as we started walking down the sidewalk.

"It's fine. Just for future reference though, you probably shouldn't invite a girl to hang out to ditch her for another one."

He laughed, "It's not what you think, but that's good advice." Once we got outside my apartment Wes stood there for a second before asking "do you want to maybe hang out tonight?"

"Umm... I actually need to study, I have another test tomorrow," I told him feeling a bit guilty for some odd reason.

"I mean, I'm not the smartest person in the world, but I could help you study and then maybe if we get done early we could do something." He offered shocking me. Did he really ask to help me study?

"Yeah sure, you can come in."