Chapter Five

IMPORTANT NOTE! This chapter is going back to before Steve and the Rouges found out they've been pardoned. Enjoy!

Five months. Five long, sleepless, guilt filled, months. Five months since the Sokovia Accords. Five months since Steve last saw America. Five months since Steve saw Tony.

It's also been five months consisting of living in Wakanda. The Rogues have been staying there for the meantime but they do travel from country to country.

Most of Steve's time is spent training, checking up on Bucky, and mourning over the separation of the Avengers. Steve missed Tony. Also Thor and Bruce, but they've been gone for a while.

Steve laid in his bed, staring at the ceiling as more thoughts consumed his ever spiraling mind. His sense of awareness slowly drifting.

These last five months have been rough. He knew it was his fault for the way things ended between him and Tony. First, he refused to sign the accords. That then caused a split in the team, leading to a civil war. And of course, Steve lied to Tony. He didn't tell him that Bucky (more like Winter Soldier since Bucky was brainwashed) killed his parents. To top it all off as well, Steve rammed his shield into Tony's arc reactor.

No matter how many times Steve tells himself that he did it to save Bucky, he knew he was still in the wrong. Steve could've done more to save the team, but he was too damn stubborn.

There was a knock on the door that interrupted Steve's racing thoughts. He got up from bed with a groan and pulled down his shirt. He opened the door and saw Nat standing there.

"What's up Romanoff?"

She smiled slightly, "T'Challa needs to talk to us. It's urgent."

He nodded his head. Luckily Steve was already dressed for the day. "Let's go."

Steve followed her to the meeting room that they normally went to. It's not the one where all of the leaders of Wakanda meet, just a room with a long table.

When they arrived they saw Sam, Wanda, and T'Challa already there. Nat and Steve took their usual seats before Steve turns to T'Challa.

"What's going on?" Steve asked.

"I got a call from Ross." T'Challa states simply.

Steve felt his anxiety peak and he began panicking that T'Challa was going to turn them in. Steve took a deep breath to calm his nerves, since he's supposed to be the leader here, and spoke again.

"What for?"

"Shocking news, Tony Stark has been trying to get you guys pardoned for the past five months." T'Challa tells them.

Steve's heart drops and guilt consumes him again. Even after everything they've done to him, he still tries so hard to save them.

"And..." Nat dragged on, figuring there was more to it.

"Well, here's the good news. He did it. You guys have been officially pardoned." T'Challa tells them.

Steve smiles slightly, but the guilt is still eating him alive. Steve looked at everyone else's faces and they were similar to what he imagined his looked liked. Regret.

"However there is minor bad news. You'll have to stay at the tower. Since Anthony is the reason you guys are pardoned, he is responsible to look after you. I do not know anymore details about that matter so I'm guessing it's all up to Stark." T'Challa explained.

Steve nodded his head, "It's still very appreciated."

T'Challa looks as if he remembered something and opens his mouth once again. "We also need to tell Barton and Lang the news. They no longer can be under house arrest and are needed at the tower. As you know, the Vision has been with Ross, so I don't know what's going to happen with him. We leave tomorrow at 5 am. Don't be late."

And with that, it's over. T'Challa exists the room but everyone else stays.

"Is this good or bad?" Wanda questioned.

Sam pats her back reassuringly and shoots Steve a pleading gaze. Steve clears his throat and smiles at her.

"It's definitely good news, we're going back home."

Nat gave him a look. Steve raised an eyebrow at her in response making her sigh before explaining herself.

"Do we really deserve this? I mean, we all hurt Tony pretty bad, and he was our family. He did everything and would do anything for us. And we betrayed him. It just seems like our company will only cause more problems for him." Romanoff admitted.

Sam nods his head in agreement, and Wanda just continues staring off into space. The guilt is now burning Steve and he struggles to hold back a hiss. He had to take a moment to calm himself down before answering them.

"Well if he worked this hard to get us pardoned, then the least we could do is abide by it. I'm sure Stark has it figured out so he doesn't get affected negatively by this. We just have to do what we're told and hope for the best."

They all mumble an okay and then Sam and Wanda leave. Natasha stays and looks Steve in the eyes. Her friendly demeanor slowly fading away. Steve clears his throat nervously,

"Is there something you'd like to say?"

She lets out a sigh but nonetheless speaks, "We've been friends for a while, but I've also been close friends with Tony for years, even before you were out of the ice. I know Tony well, sometimes a little better than he knows himself. I've also found ways to keep tabs on how he's been doing. So I'm saying this, do not push him too far. He is not the man you thought he was, he never had been. But now he's not even the man he used to be. Because of us. Because of you. He may not like me at the moment, but he is like my older brother, and you and I will have problems if you even consider hurting him again. He is doing a lot for us. Am I clear?" Romanoff demanded, her Black Widow facade coming through.

Steve nods his head, "Very."

Nat smiles softly and it's like that previous threat never left her mouth.

"Alright, well, let's go. Big day tomorrow, we gotta get packing and say our goodbyes and thanks."