Chapter Seven

"He's my friend." Steve says through heavy breathing, while on his knees, with blood all over his face.

"So was I."

Tony punches Steve one more time before throwing him into the wall.

"Stay down, final warning."

Steve shakily got up and rocked from side to side. He put his fist back up and looked at the man before him.

"I can do this all day."

Bucky hits Tony's leg, making Tony get distracted. Steve takes this as an opportunity to pick him up and throw him to the ground. Steve hurries and straddles him, making sure he doesn't get up. Steve punches Tony's helmet over and over again.

Steve picks up the shield next to him and hits Tony on the head with it until the mask gives away and Tony's helmet shatters.

Steve raises  his shield and Tony puts his hands over his face immediately, just as Steve slams his shield into Tony's arc reactor. The suit powers off instantly.

Steve looks into Tony's eyes and sees nothing but betrayal.

Steve sits up from bed with tears streaming down his face. He places a hand over his heaving chest and runs his other hand through his hair. Looking at the alarm clock next to his bed, he notices it's 3:45 in the morning. Steve groans and gets up from bed, changing out of his sweat drenched shirt, and into a dry one.

Steve exits his room and quietly walks to the kitchen to get a glass of water. While he drinks his water he can still feel tears silently stream down his face.

It's been a week, since Steve and the others have moved into the tower. Oh, it's been absolute hell. Steve desperately wanted to see Tony again, drop to his knees, and beg for forgiveness. But every time the elevator doors open, it's always Rhodes who walks out of them. Steve tries to ask how Tony is doing, but Rhodes is extremely protective of his best friend, as expected, and curses at Steve repeatedly.

Steve sat the glass down and decided to head down to the training room. Once there, he set up the punching bag and began to wrap his hands. He shook his arms and went to work.

Steve didn't know what he expected. Whenever he's in distress and decide to take it out on the poor bag, all it does is allow his mind to wonder.

"Make a move Reindeer Games,"

"Good move."

"Mr. Stark."

"Captain."

Punch. Punch.

"...Come on Stark..."

"..."

"Close it."

"..."

"Son of a gun."

"He's not slowing down!"

Punch. Punch. Punch.

"You know Ultron's trying to tear us apart, right?"

"Well, I guess you'd know. Whether you tell us is a bit of a question."

"Banner and I were doing research."

"That would affect the team."

"That would end the team! Isn't that the mission? Isn't that the why we fight, so we can end the fight, so we get to go home?"