8

A/N: The paragraphs and texts in italics for this chapter are Jungkook's memories from the past.

Enjoy <3

==

Jungkook didn't cry. Of course not.

Perhaps a few tears slipped here and there but no where near a showcase of waterfalls.

He couldn't help it.

Turning away from Taehyung in the midst of a supposedly memorable event? (Because he's sure as hell never experiencing prom next year after driving away his only source of ground.)

Maybe a tear or two.

Walking home through the darkness of the night— or his mind, he wasn't too sure yet— and replaying the self-pitied words that he unintentionally poured above the senior's head like a bucket of ice water?

He'd bet on three or four tears.

Remembering that he ruined Taehyung's second prom experience— as well as the younger's first— for absolutely no reasonable explanation? (If he really had to, he could've just waited the day after.)

A solid five and a half.

Entering his household to a petty mother who thought a silent treatment was an oh-so-adult-like punishment for going against her conditions?

Does six still classify as just tears? He'd like to think so.

Feeling like his home didn't do much of it's logical role to provide enough comfort for an existential crisis?

Okay, fine! So he did cry. Jeez, way to go with being a nosy little brat.

Sighing, he lazily stripped into his boxers and a white shirt before letting the bedsheets engulf him into a very elegant lump.

"So much for prom." He muttered to himself, puffy eyes staring at the suit neatly hung in the closet.

Jungkook should be used to this. He should be used to Taehyung picking everyone over him. He should've already learned how to control his tears.

But he didn't.

Because things between him and Taehyung weren't always like this. The older wasn't always this distant. In fact, there was a time that Jungkook felt like the most important person in the brunet's life.

Back when they were both in middle school.

"Kookie!" Taehyung beamed, running across the park, two ice cream cones in hand.

Jungkook could feel his face heating up when a pair of arms wrapped around him.

"Aren't you supposed to be grounded for getting suspended?" The younger asked with an amused grin.

"Obviously I snuck out." The brunet rolled his eyes, handing the cookies n' cream ice cream to the boy. "And don't forget why I got suspended in the first place."

"I didn't ask you to jump the kid, Taehyungie."

"But he was calling you stupid! I couldn't just stand there and watch my best friend get insulted by a four foot nine 7th grader. And you, why didn't you do anything to defend yourself?!"

Jungkook would've told him that it wasn't a big deal— that he's built a tolerance for all the insults before Taehyung had even moved in the neighborhood— but he didn't want the older to worry or sympathize. So he settled with a shake of his head, a fond smile pulling the corners of his lips.

"Thanks for sneaking out, Tae. You really didn't have to but thank you." The younger mustered up after sitting on the bottom of the slide, the 8th grader right next to him.