11

Taehyung aggressively pushed the door open, earning a cry from a random girl who got hit in the process.

Not feeling like eating himself up with guilt, he strode to the counter where a certain junior was serving coffee to one of the customers.

"Here you go, sir. Have a good rest of the day." Jungkook smiled at the middle-aged man, handing his cup before proceeding to stand in front of the register. He finally caught sight of the brunet and his whole aura visibly brightened. "Hey Tae- Taehyung, what's wrong?"

The younger's smile fell when he noticed the enraged expression on the the senior's face.

"Do you like me, Jungkook?" Taehyung placed his hands on the counter, leaning in to make sure the junior knew just how bad of a mood he was in. His voice was a little too loud, making Jungkook look around to see heads turning toward them. Why did this have to happen on a Monday rush? Monday rushes were always packed with students from their school and random strangers who needed their afternoon coffee.

"Of course I like you. Y-you wouldn't be my friend if I didn't." Jungkook nervously chuckled, hating that everyone's eyes were now on the two males.

"You know that's not what I meant." The older hissed.

The younger kept silent, pretty sure that it was enough of an answer for the brunet.

"So you do like me?" Taehyung mockingly laughed, leaving a painful ring in the boy's heart. Jungkook just stood where he was, face red and eyes shamefully looking down at the register.

"You wanna know something, Jungkook?" The older continued. "You wanna know why I'm single? Wanna know why Hoseok broke up with me? Because of you." He shoved the younger's shoulder with his finger. The junior looked utterly confused now.

"Hoseok broke up with me because you liked me." At this point, he wasn't thinking of what he was saying, his words were now driven by anger. "Why do you have to like me, huh?! No wonder why you're always nice to me! You wanted to ruin my relationship!"

"I-I didn't know. I'm sorry. I didn't know, Taehyungie-"

"Don't call me that."

"Taehyung-"

"All the times you asked me to hang out with you just to study? It's weird really but it all makes sense now."

"I needed help on reading." Jungkook said truthfully in an embarrassed tone.

"Yeah, sure. Admit it. You're just the stupid, weird kid that has this big crush on me. Is that why you don't make any other friends, huh?" Taehyung didn't mean it. He really didn't mean to say any of it because there was no part of him that believed any of those words.

But it was too late.

The pained, broken expression on the younger's face was enough to indicate that it was too late.

He should leave. He might end up saying something worse that the junior wouldn't be able to take.

"Forget it. I-I gotta go." Is all the brunet said before rushing out of the coffee shop.

Jungkook was left there, in front of everyone. They had their phones out, recording the scene. This was most likely going to spread around the school. He was going to be even more of a laughing stock.

Not only was he Jungkook, the weird kid that had no friends, but now he was Jungkook, the weird kid that got rejected and humiliated by his only friend.

With teary eyes, he looked around at the people pointing cameras at him and gave a sad smile along with a polite bow before going back to work.

He badly wanted his shift to end, not wanting to cry in front of the customers.

(A/N: How I imagined Kook when he forced a smile for the customers after the whole scene 👇🏻)

Jungkook entered his house to immediately see his mom sitting in the living room, watching something that her son couldn't care less about

But instead of walking straight to his room like he usually did during the past few weeks, he dropped his bag on the recliner and stood in front of the couch. His mom looked up at him but the raven head kept his eyes on the carpet.

"What do you want, Jungkook?" Those were the first words she'd spoken to him in a while. Not the best sentence he'd gotten from her but her voice was enough to push him to finally pour his emotions.

"Do you ever just get... tired, mom?" The boy asked, too exhausted to lace any emotions into his words.

"What are you on about this time?"

"I don't know. I don't- I don't know." He quietly laughed to himself out of pure irony instead of amusement.

"Jungkook-" He hadn't heard her concerned tone in a while either. Almost didn't recognize it.

"I'm just- I'm tired, mom." He cut her off, exhaling to temporarily block off the tears. "I'm tired of being stupid, of being weird and alone. I'm tired of having no one by my side. Why does everyone I love leave me? Why? Dad left us because of me, my only friend stopped being my friend, and even you've given up on me. "

His mother stood up, a pained look in her eyes. She didn't know that her son was bottling all of this up in him. She had no idea that he blamed himself for the disappearance of her husband.

"I-I must be doing something w-wrong. P-please, tell m-me I'm doing something wrong!" Jungkook broke down, kneeling on the carpet and hunching over his knees. "I n-need a mom right now. Pretend like you c-care about me for once, please!"

He couldn't breath. His sobs echoed against the walls of the living room, bouncing back to his ears to mock him of his weak, fragile state.

Taehyung calling him stupid and weird was his breaking point. Out of everyone, the brunet was the last person the junior had expected to call him such names that he'd forcefully grown accustomed to. The younger did everything for Taehyung because doing things for himself would've just been a waste of his time. Heck, he even started working out just to get a better body, hoping that people would stop bullying him for his lack of academic performance and focusing on his appearance just so the brunet wouldn't have to be seen with the dumb, lanky kid.

It didn't work, obviously.

His hands shakily wiped the emotions pouring out of his eyes, not expecting a pair of petite arms to wrap around his head. The boy hadn't felt her hugs in years, completely forgetting just how safe a mother's comfort truly felt.

"I'm sorry." She apologized, voice cracking. She pulled him closer to her chest, tears falling out of her brown orbs. "You did nothing wrong, Jungkook. I'll be a better mother from now on, I promise. I was selfish and neglected you. Your father leaving had nothing to do with you yet I made you feel like it had everything to do with you. I-I'm sorry, sweetheart. You know I love you."

Jungkook's crying eventually died down to sniffles. It felt good to know that his mom listened to him.

Maybe this was the perfect time to request...

"M-mom? I-I wanna be homeschooled."

==

A/N: I imagined these scenes to be more heart wrenching than this and I'm mad at my writing skills for failing me :(