O N E.

[ Chapter One—goodbye university ]

–––––

I frowned when catching sight of a folded picture stuck in between my newly bare mattress and the wall. Reaching forward, I easily plucked the picture out of the crevice and unfolded it. The memory forever frozen on the piece of paper made me laugh out loud.

It was a random shot taken just a few weeks prior to now showing my roommate being held in a handstand by two guys while she chugged the tap of a silver keg. I vaguely remembered I had to carry her back to our dorm as she could barely keep herself standing.

Snorting, I refolded the picture and shoved it in my pocket before rolling off the bare mattress. The carpet was full of random stains not unlike the walls, which alike the two bare mattresses, looked naked compared to how they were just weeks before.

A few weeks ago our dorm room walls were full of pictures stuck down by gum, tape, nails, any way possible to stick a photo down to a wall and you would find at least one picture that way. Alas, it was that time of year that every colleger dreads... summer.

Or in other words, the four months that allowed the school campus to recuperate itself for the following class of young adults, also known as a time where us "youngins" had to get the hell out.

Freshmen year at Northern Arizona University had been a blast. Classes only three days a week, constant parties, never-ending food, and best of all complete freedom. In all honesty, while I missed my parents, I was already looking forward to my next upcoming year on campus.

So much so that I would not even mind skipping summer altogether.

Humming to myself, I placed my hands on my hips while taking another look at the barren room. My roommate left just a few hours ago, both of us promising to text every day. She lived in California, so she had a flight to catch. However, her few boxes of things that could not go on the plane had already been shipped to her parents' home.

My five boxes, on the other hand, stay stacked on top of each other next to the door. In a manner I could only describe as condescending, two suitcases and a backpack were just in front of the boxes proving that there was more to try and fit into my car for the three-hour drive back to my parent's house in the East Valley of Arizona, also known as Mesa.

Rubbing a hand through my hair, I sighed thinking of the heat that was sure to greet me once I got back home. Northern Arizona University was in Flagstaff, a much cooler part of Arizona than where I grew up.

It was currently May and while it was in the high eighties here in Flagstaff, I had checked the weather app earlier only to nearly pass out at the knowledge that it was one-hundred and eight degrees back home in Mesa. I was already naturally above average temperature-wise, I didn't need anything to add to it.