T E N.

[ Chapter Ten—run away ]

———————

"Well, this is just great! We're pretty much dead if she decides to bite us!" Kate threw her arm at me, her golden eyes a piercing glare.

It was at that moment that for whatever reason I took note of her perfectly manicured nails. Ruby red glittered, but the sun was now completely set leaving us all basked in darkness in the middle of nowhere.

Most people would be nervous about that, but not our small group, because we were the ones that people should be nervous about. We were the monsters hiding in the dark.

"Girl, you need to chill," I snapped, "I have been living with the Cullens for over a month, don't you think you would all be dead by now if you were in any danger?" My answer made Kate shut up, the female vampire simply pinching the bridge of her nose in exasperation.

Garrett barked a laugh causing me to look at the male vampire with a raised brow. The hell?

"Ha! I like your fire, werewolf," the vamp smirked, turning his head toward me, "What's the story? I'd love to hear this one, can't be any better than little Nessie's."

Edward snorted. "It is."

"Ooh, don't leave a brother hanging, go ahead and tell me." Garrett placed his hands in his pockets, golden eyes gleaming as he looked over me with something akin to curiosity.

"We're cousins," Bella explained, and Kate suddenly turned rigid, looking to me in a new light.

"Oh my God, no way..." the blonde trailed off earning a confused look from everyone except Edward who smirked.

"Yep," the mind reader said as Kate's mouth fell agape.

"Little Jaclyn Swan? From the wedding fourteen years ago!" Kate looked astonished, her voice holding a new soft tone.

"Uhm, yeah, did we meet? 'Cause I honestly can't remember," I shrugged, Kate sighing.

"Yeah," she muttered softly, "we did meet, you met my entire family actually." Kate shook her head, closing her eyes for a second before reopening them. "You know what, I'm really sorry about this, I had no right to act as I have, I hope you can forgive me and let us start anew."

I was not one for grudges.

"Hey, I'm not holding anything against you," I smiled in a kind manner, my sweatpants feeling extremely airy.

"So..." Garrett coughed, "it looks like you two actually do know each other, but how about that story?"

Kate slapped his shoulder lightly, while I snickered. "Carlisle, you can tell it if you want," I told the blond doctor, deciding he was probably a better storyteller than myself.