17: The Start

**EDITED: 5/16/17**

It's been weeks since I started getting nightmares. It was the usually the same one, only sometimes I would watch the rest of my family die too. I've tried to keep it a secret from everyone, but I'm certain Edward knows since the nightmare plagues my mind almost constantly. I don't know why he hasn't said anything, especially to Jasper, but I don't want to talk about it. Especially not to him. The weather was getting colder, putting me in a bad mood almost constantly.

I've tried to hide it from Seth, but he knows something's wrong. Especially when I opted out of going into the forest and suggested to spend the days near the house or inside. It didn't give us privacy, but part of me was afraid of being alone with him in the woods in the event that I can't protect him.

Jasper had commented on our mother's ring once, but let it go after I lied saying that I always had it. I was surprised when he didn't push it, or tried to interrogate me on my lack of sleep.

I was currently laying on the couch, my head on Seth's lap as he played with my hair. Everyone was in the living room, listening as Renesmee played on the piano with Edward. 

I jumped, hearing glass crash onto the hardwood floor. I sat up, looking at Alice who had dropped a vase of flowers. Jasper immediately was at her side.

"What was it?" He asked. We all looked at them anxiously.

"The Volturi, they're coming for us." I swear, my heart stopped. "Aro, Marcus, Caius, the guard. And Irina." My breathing quickened and I ran a shaky hand through my hair. I barely felt Seth's hand on my back, trying to be comforting. I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself down. I clenched my fists, trying to keep myself from getting lost in my panic.

"Why?" Carlisle asked.

"What did Irina see in the woods?" Edward asked.

"We were just walking," Bella answered.

"Ness was catching snowflakes." Jacob added.

"Of course," Edward mumbled. I knew what he thought too.

"Irina thinks Renesmee is an immortal child," I stated, standing up. "And Aro's using this as an excuse to take me back, get Alice, and destroy this coven."

"He's not going to take you," Seth said grabbing my hand.

"You don't know what he's capable of." I whispered, looking at him sadly.

"I'm sorry, but what's an immortal child?" Bella asked.

"They're children who were turned into vampires. Frozen at their young age, they never learned restraint and couldn't be taught restraint. A single tantrum would destroy a whole village." I explained. "Humans heard of the devastation, and word got around. The Volturi were forced to step in before our existence was exposed. Since the children couldn't protect our secret, they were destroyed. Most of the time their creators grew very attached to the children, and fought to protect them. Families were torn apart, countless humans were slaughtered. Traditions broke, friends and even families turned against each other and were lost."

"The three sisters of the Denali coven know that better than anyone. They lost their mother that way," Carlisle added.

"So their mom made an immortal child?" Bella asked, receiving a head nod from Carlisle.

"Yes. And she paid the price."

"Well Renesmee is nothing like those children, she was born not bitten. She grows everyday!" Bella exclaimed.

"So can you just explain that to the Volturi?" Jacob asked, turning his attention to me.

"Aro has enough proof with Irina's thoughts," Edward cut in.