❄ Chapter 3 ❄

HOW IT ALL STARTED 301 YEARS AGO...

Nixie sat on the edge of the fountain that was placed in the middle of the town where she, her parents and her little sister lived. Nixie her bow and quiver with arrows in it were laying on the ground beside her. She got the set from her parents for her thirteenth birthday. It was an ordinary bow made out of wood, as well the arrows were made out of wood except for the metal point.

it was still crowded at the little plaza at the golden hour. The fountain was always a special place for her and her sister, they would always play here when they were younger.

Nixie also had her first kiss in front of the fountain, of course Sierra didn't know that. It was a wonderful summer evening as her friend Jack, a boy who lived in a town across hers, pushed his lips on hers in a gentle manner. She would never forget that magnificent feeling.

The town was populated by a certain group of people who had a special connection to their surroundings and also had a certain respect for the nature around them unlike some people.

Some would even say that they could communicate with the trees of the animals within it. Another rumor was going around that they had magic abilities to grow plants with a single handwave.

Nixie didn't know if she had to believe those rumors, she also had respect for the trees and the animals that lived in or around the town. There could be something supernatural lurking around the corner, right?

A golden sky hovering above the teenager as she inhaled the warm Summer air that smelled like fresh lavender and poppies. It was the end of July as Nixie felt the warmth of the setting sun on her pale skin and she closed her eyes, enjoying the moment. Summer was a lovely season but Spring was and still is always her favorite season with all kind of different flowers and newly born animals.

Her sister sat on her left side also on the edge of the fountain looking at the ducks who were swimming in the water. She picked up a baby duck and put it on her lap to pet it gently.

Her sister was a cute chubby thirteen-year-old girl with the same green eyes as her older sister who was 17 at the time. Freckles spread on her nose. Both girls also shared the same dark blond hair and the bushy eyebrows.

''Sierra I think it is time we should head towards home, it's going to be dark soon'' Nixie said to her younger sibling as she stood up.

''Besides I think Mom and Dad are going to worry if we stay out too long''

Sierra smiled at her older sister. The girls had a great bond with each other since they were little. Sierra looked at Nixie as her guardian as she was always for her when times were difficult.

''Okay Nix, but first I'm going to place my new friend Bobbles back into the water'' Sierra petted the duck for the last time and she placed it back in the fountain. It swam back to its parents.

Nixie swung her quiver around her shoulder and put her how over her head so that it was diagonally round her body.

''Come'' Nixie outstretched her and towards her younger sister as Sierra also raised from the fountain.

Suddenly dark clouds hung in the Skye and the screaming could be heard everywhere from people who lived in the town. People around her got attacked by dark entities and fell dead on the ground.

''SIERRA DO NOT MOVE!'' Nixie screamed.

The girl did as she was told, trusting her older sister with her life, as tears began to stream down her cheeks. Panic evident in her forest green eyes.

Nixie ran towards her sister and putted her arms protectively around her. People where running everywhere to no destination in a panicked matter. Jumping over dead bodies in the progress.

As they were surrounded by the dark creatures Sierra cried against Nixies chest creating a wet spot on her baggy jumper. An evil laugh could be heard in the distance creating goosebumps on Nixie her whole body. ''KILL THEM ALL!'' The voice again said in an evil manner, almost barbaric.

The teenager looked around her to escape the horror around them, still protecting Sierra with her arms. She didn't saw a way out as the dark creatures approached the two girls and Sierra begun to cry even harder as her grip increased on her sister's jumper.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT!" Nixie shouted to plain air. No response. There were no more people around them, except for the dead bodies on the ground. This was no scene for a thirteen-year-old to see.

''Nixie... I'm scared. W-W-where are Mom and Dad?'' Sierra stuttered as she inhaled deeply.

''Don't worry Si, everything is gonna be alright''

When one of the dark creatures decided to attack, Nixie grabbed her bow and shot an arrow in its heart, scaring off the entity. Another one came and Nixie shot another arrow in the heart of the creature. The same happened with another three of them.

Getting hope that they were going to make it Nixie shot another arrow at the last creature. ''We made it Si!'' Nixie laughed loudly before she turned around to her sister and the scene before her shocked her.

''Nix... I don't feel so well'' Blood sputtered out of the preteens mouth. The blood stain on her white dress increased very quickly.

''SIERRA NO!'' Nixie screamed at the top of her lungs as she catches her little sister before she could fell on the ground. Tears began to drastically fall down her cheeks. She failed... she failed as an older sister.

''Si?... p-please stay with me'' Nixie stammered as she cried. Sierra her head was laying on Nixies lap. ''It is o-okay Nix'' Sierra tried to get the words out of her mouth. Her skin was a sickly pale and her eyes were bloodshot.

''Please take care of Mom and Dad?'' Nixie chuckled, not a happy chuckle though but her little sister always thought of another people's wellbeing's. '' I will Si'' Nixie stroke her hand at her sister's face. ''Take my necklace Nix... so that you'll never forget me''

''How could I forget you? You're one of my favorite persons in the world'' Nixie felt more tears swell up in her eyes.

''I love you Ni-Nix'' Sierra inhaled and exhaled for a last time. The light in her eyes disappeared as they stared into blankness.

''NO! You can't leave me!'' Nixie cried as she grabbed Sierras lifeless body before putting it to her chest. ''NO!''

After a few moments Nixie laid her sisters body at the ground. Closing her eyes with her fingers. She kissed her goodbye before putting the necklace round her neck. It was a copper necklace with a big green stone dangling at it.

Nixie stood up and looked around her, everywhere you could look were dead bodies lying on the ground. She felt empty, she didn't even know if her parents survived or even who caused this horror scene.

Nixie screamed, still not believing that her only sister was gone. She grabbed her bow and quiver with arrows in it, the only thing at that moment that she inherited from her parents.

Suddenly green sparks were flying around her. Nixie thought that she was going mad after the horrible experience. She looked around her. Her dark green eyes laid on the moon, it was as if she was so attracted to it that she couldn't stop watching it.

The moon grew in its size as if coming closer to the earth. Almost every memory that she had vanished. She could only remember the highlights. The scene changed around her to a beautiful green forest.

Nixie flew a bit in the air, still her eyes fixated on the moon. Her hair turned from her dark blond color to a platinum colour. Her eyes changed from the dark green colour to light green.

Her clothes changed as well, her baggy jumper which was drenched with Sierras blood turned into a long sleeve shirt with all kind of organic prints on it. Her pants as well, it turned dark green with leaves printed on the sides.

Her bow and arrows turned from an ordinary set to a light green color with all kinds of organic curls on it also. A cloak appeared on her back made out of twigs and plants.

She looks as if she was one with her surroundings.

Her name was Mother nature. But that was all the Moon had told Nixie.