𝔰𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫

The distant sounds of birds rustling in the leaves and branches woke Corrine from her restless sleep

The distant sounds of birds rustling in the leaves and branches woke Corrine from her restless sleep. She groaned as she lifted her stiff body from the rock hard ground. It was still early, the fog had thickened from the day before and the air was chillier than she remembered. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Bai had fallen asleep against the tree since no one had relieved him from his post. She shivered and hid herself under her covers, pulling them close to her while she snuggled deep into what was supposed to be a bed. Her glance shifted past the faces of the group members to be sure everyone was accounted for, until she locked eyes with a pair of bright blue ones.

"Can't sleep?" Eros whispered.

Corrine shook her head.

"Me too," he sighed. "Is it just me or did it get really freakin' cold?"

"Sun can't really reach these parts of the woods and the dampness doesn't help." Corrine rolled onto her back, gazing up into the dark, twisted branches. "What are we going to do, Eros?"

"What do you mean?"

Corrine gave him a look as if the answer should be obvious. "Do we even know what the hell we are doing?"

Eros propped himself up onto his elbows. "You were so confident yesterday. Sounds like you knew exactly what the hell you were doing last night."

Corrine anxiously ran her fingers through her hair. "How am I supposed to feel like I know what I'm doing when no one trusts me."

"Is this about Axel?"

"Nah, he was just frustrated. I would be too if someone started barking orders at me if I don't even know them...but he's right."

"I trust you." Eros's brows furrowed together in disbelief. "You're kidding, right? Corrine, you're a natural leader. Someone would have to be stupid to not see you that way."

Corrine's lips pursed to form a smile. "Thank you."

He returned the smile. "Of course."

Corrine sat up with Eros

Corrine sat up with Eros. "Ya think we should start waking everyone up?"

"Hm probably, we still have a good distance until we reach the Realm of Beasts. The sooner we can get on the road the better."