Chapter 61

"So let me get this straight. Your reason for visiting this girl has something to do with your titan abilities" Hitch asked as she walked with you.

"Something like that, yeah." you replied.

"Apparently, I found out that I can sense the emotions even in people who are in a deep sleep. That's why I've been coming down here often."

"Hmm, if you weren't a girl, I would have thought it to be for another reason." you jolted at that response.

"Huh!? No! I'm not some kind of creep!"

"Woah, not calling you that. Just saying you're weird."

"Hmm..." you disliked that comment.

"But you understand why I have to be careful. Well, now knowing you had history with her." She opened the door to a room, revealing a crystal with a familiar woman inside. Annie.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to try and break her out or anything."

"Do me a favor, I kind of want to see how she reacts when you mention me."

"I'll see what I can do."

"And remember, don't cross that boundary." you nodded. Hitch turned to leave.

"I'll come get you when your time's up."

"Thank you, Hitch."

"What for? Letting you in? Don't think that's something to thank you for." Hitch closed the door and you were allowed with the trapped Annie. You sat down and made yourself comfortable. Opening your book and tapping your pen against it.

"Hi again, Annie."

A little bit of backstory, your visits with Annie started back from Marley. After everything that happened, it made you reminisce. That led to dreams of familiar voices calling to you. One day, you had a vivid dream. You were standing alone in the dark with something glowing from a distance.

You walked towards the glowing light, faintly making out a loud humming noise. There, you saw it. Annie's crystal standing a few feet away from you. Her crystal was emitting a glowing grey color. At that moment, it didn't feel like a dream. It felt real. Like she was right there within your reach as you went onto touch it.

"Annie..." you spoke.

"Who's there? Hello?" Your eyes widened. That was Annie's voice just now! Is she speaking through the crystal!?

"...What?"

"Is anyone there? Hello!?" You felt yourself get pushed back as you woke up in cold sweat. From that day forward, you begged Hitch to let you see her. She found it to be weird of course, but allowed you to do so.

It was intimidating at first, but you needed to prove something. You made sure Hitch was completely gone before you walked forward and touched Annie's crystal, just like how you did in your dream. Nothing seemed to happen, until a twinge of pain and ringing was felt in your head.

"...!?" you let out a gasp. Breathing heavily as you tried to slow down your beating heart. You backed away instinctively. Your hands on your chest as you looked at Annie again.

You felt it...her emotions.

"Oi! No touching the girl!" Hitch called out to Armin, catching him by surprise.

"H-hitch!? No, no, no! You got it all wrong! It's just that titan memory transfers work better with physical touch! I thought I could possibly learn something! I wasn't trying to–!" He stopped his embarrassed ramblings when his eyes met yours.