Haunting

I was as pure as a river
But now I think I'm possessed
You put a fever inside me
And I've been cold since you left

At a suburban street in Phoenix, Arizona, Jaime Height stumbles out of the front door of her mother's home. She is dressed in only her pajamas, a beige tank top and grey sleeping shorts. She moves with urgency and primal fear. Jaime looks back as she runs, turning into the street. She hears her screen door open and close again.

Someone is after her.

Jay slows down, standing a few houses down. She stops and turns toward her home, standing in the middle of the street. A series of street lamps and oak trees line the block. It's dead quiet. She stares ahead, seeing something. Her feet back up from the invisible figure.

One step.

Two steps.

Then another.

Her red fuzzy slippers scratch on the concrete as she tracks backwards, remaining focused on something. She's fearful of the invisible figure.

Nearby, a young lesbian couple are pulling out groceries from their car. They notice Jaime walking in the street.

The first woman steps toward the sidewalk, concerned. "Hey, are you all right," she worriedly asks.

Jaime jumps at the sound of her voice. "Yes, please you have to help me! Please," she pleads, desperate. Her eyes stay focused on the lurking figure.

Panicked, the woman grabs her phone and runs into her house. Her and her wife dial the police's phone number as they watch Jaime Height stand outside their window.

Jay releases a gasp and turns, square of something closing in on her. She continues to step backwards.

Then her door opens again.

Her mother steps onto the front porch, frazzled. She looks around and sees her daughter in the street.

Then, a door opens.

Her mother steps onto her front porch, frazzled. She looks around and sees her daughter standing in the street. "Jay! Honey, what are you doing?"

Jaime's blue eyes quickly flicker to her mother. "Mommy, please! He's coming for me! You have to help me," she says, sounding petrified. She glances at the invisible figure one more, before she runs towards her mother and clings to her shirt like a small child.

"Jay, Jay! Honey, calm down. Come inside. We can call Dr. Bertrand together," her mother tries to soothe her daughter, but fails miserably.

"You don't understand! He's going to kill us all," Jay replies. She watches the figure come closer and closer to her and mother. She looks back at her mother and the open door. Quickly, she sprints forward, rounding her imagined chaser. She races across the lawn and to her front door.

"Where are you going," her mother shouts.

Jay doesn't respond.

That's when her stepfather, Robert, emerges from the backyard. "What the hell," he exclaims, confused.

His wife shoots him a look as Jay hops onto the porch and runs into the house. Her worried mother and step-father follow her inside.

It's quiet outside.

The couple from earlier speak to the police over the phone, watching the scene develop within the safety of their home.

Moments later, Jay runs out the front door, her keys in hand and a bag over her shoulder. She sidesteps across the porch and climbs into her mother's car. She starts the engine and speeds away as her parents run outside.