Queen Of Hearts

Change is a powerful thingPeople are powerful beingsTrying to find the power in me to be faithfulChange is a powerful thing

People are powerful beings
Trying to find the power in me to be faithful
Change is a powerful thing

FLASHBACK One Year Ago
JAY'S HOUSE
Kelly sits on the stoop of Jay's front porch with her neighborhood friends. They're playing a card game, waiting for Jay to get home. Paul pours liquor from his flask into a Coke can. Yara sorts the deck of cards in her hand. They're Disney's Alice In Wonderland Limited Edition set. Paul managed to pull them off the store the day prior.

"Can I have some," Kelly asks, referring to the liquor. "Yeah," Paul hands Kelly the can of pop. She takes a sip and cringes from the taste. It's too strong for her. She shakes off the sting of cheap booze and examines her cards. She holds the Queen Of Hearts card - unfortunately.

She tries to maintain her poker face while looking back at Paul. "Listen to this... 'I think that if one is faced by inevitable destruction -- if a house is falling upon you, for instance -- one must feel a great longing to sit down, close one's eyes and wait, come what may'," Yara reads from her cellphone.

"That's why we're drinking on the porch," Kelly says, laughing. Paul grins and looks over at her. Yara mutters a fake laugh. "Did mom asleep already," he asks. "Almost for sure. Yeah. You know she always wakes up at 5:15. I think that would kill me," she scoffs.

She looks at the cards in her hand, centered on the Queen of Hearts - the loveless villain from Alice In Wonderland. "Yeah," Paul mumbles. "I never wanna have a job," Yara's eyes dart excitedly over her cell phone screen. She smiles and nods to herself - enjoying some undisclosed prose.

"I wish I didn't," Kelly mutters. "You love serving hot dogs and ice cream to weird old people and crying children," Paul points out. "Ok. That's true. It brings me joy," she replies, smiling. Yara rolls her eyes at Kelly's goofiness. "Where's Jay at? She's taking long," she asks all of the sudden.

"Remember she's on a date. She'll probably be here in a bit," Kelly replies, taking a sip of her Cola. This bit of information seems to sting Paul. He covers it as much as possible. Kelly looks to him, holding up her hand of cards. "Your turn," she says. "Who is he anyways," Yara asks. "Somebody new," she answers. "Of course," Paul mumbles.

Kelly gives Paul a dirty look as he grabs a card - the queen of hearts card remains in her hand. "She's so pretty. It's annoying," Yara mumbles. "It is annoying," Kelly repeats, smiling. "At least she's nice," Paul gives her credit. Yara gives Paul a dirty look. He smirks back as she kicks him in the leg.

That's when the old Ford Galaxy car races up the street and stops in front of the house. Kelly and her siblings turn and watch as Hugh runs out and opens the back door on the far side of the car. The engine is still running. They watch as he pulls something from the backseat. Kelly begins to stand.