Fluorescents

Still waiting, hands shakingMaybe the coast will clearBut these voices, these strange noisesThey followed me in here

Maybe the coast will clear
But these voices, these strange noises
They followed me in here

FORKS COFFEE SHOP
A sirloin steak is set in front of Charlie. He shares a table with Bella and Jay. The waitress, Cora, 30's, beams at the two cousins as as she sets a plate of cod in front of them. Several loggers at the counter offer them a welcoming smile. Jay shrinks in her seat at the attention. Charlie's oblivious.

"Can't get over how grown up two you are. And so gorgeous," Cora tells them. Jay glances at Charlie, who keeps his eyes on his steak. A bearded, hippy logger, Waylon Forge, 50, appears behind Cora, leaning over her shoulder.

"'Member me, hun? I was Santa one year," he asks them. Jay confused, tilts her head to the side. "Butt-crack santa," she asks, unsure. Bella cracks a smile, slightly remembering him. "See? I always make an impression," he exclaims, smiling.

"Come on. Let the girls eat their cod, Waylon. When you're done, I'll bring you two your dad's favorite - berry cobbler. Remember? Your dad still has it every Thursday," Cora tells Bella.

"That'd be great, thank you," Bella replies, clearly not remembering. Cora shoos Waylon away. Left alone now, Charlie, and Bella both reach for the salt, knock hands. Jay cracks a smile at their obvious awkwardness. Charlie goes for the ketchup instead. Silence follows as they eat.

A burst of laughter from a nearby happy family only serves to emphasize the discomfort at the table. She tries to bridge the gap. "So.. There was an old woman at school today," she begins, cutting into her cod. Bella shoots her a puzzled look. Charlie also gives her a look. "An old woman? At your school," he asks.

"Yeah. I think she just went to talk to the administrator or something.. but, it was really weird. She was staring at me... it seemed like she was.. following me," she continues. Charlie shoots his daughter a look. Bella shakes his head, letting him know that there was no old woman to begin with.

Jay stares at the family nearby, eyeing them carefully. "Did you know her," he casually asks, trying to hide his worried face. "No, but she freaked me out. I didn't even go back to class," she answers, shaking her head.

A few children in silhouette stare through the glass and into the restaurant. Their parents lead them inside. "Did she say something to you," Bella pipes in with a question. Again, Jay shakes her head. Cora steps in and sets three berry cobblers on the table. Whispering a small, "thanks," Jane looks down at the cobbler in front of her.

She nibbles on the dessert as her cousin and uncle watch with quiet concern. They exchange a look between one another. "What exactly follows you," Bella asks, again. "I don't know. There's a lot.. too many hallucinations, too many triggers," Jay whispers a response.

"You should tell your mom what you saw," Charlie suggests. A shadow passes by the glass window. "No," she immediately looks up at her uncle, pleading him with her eyes. "Well, Jay, I'm worried about you," he continues, worried.