i dont want to die

WARNING: Fake Morbid Images

"I think there's a fault in my code
These voices won't leave me alone
My heart is gold and my hands are cold."

SCHOOL PARKING LOT
The rain has stopped, but the parking lot is full of water and patches of black ice. Shivering, Jay heads for Bella's truck, carrying the onion. She carefully navigates through the icy puddles. Bella had given her the keys to her truck to get warm. She's off by a corner, talking to Angela about a school project. As Jay reaches her truck, she looks across the lot and sees Edward standing by his silver Volvo with his siblings, about to climb in.

A moment passes as their eyes meet. Then, he looks toward the sound of a high pitched screech, that quickly grows louder. Frightened, she turns to see a van skidding on the ice, careening out of control. It's heading directly for her. Time suddenly fractures, compressing to stillness, then exploding in bursts of speed as people watch in shock.

Jay realizes what's going to happen. Tyler desperately tries to gain control, then shields his face. Edward looks at Jay with horror. She hears Bella calling her name, but she can't bring herself to move away.

The van is about to hit Bella's truck, with Jay standing in between, when suddenly, something knocks her down, pinning her to the ground. She looks up and Edward is magically on top of her. The world around them freezes. In this fraction of a second, their proximity is overwhelming, electrifying.

He breathes in her scent as she takes in his flawless face. The van smashes into the back of Bella's truck, then spins around, once again, careening toward her and Edward, then suddenly his hands are creating a deep dent in the side of the van's body as it shudders to a stop, a foot from Jay. Edward literally pushed the van away. She looks at him, trying to absorb what had just happened. Edward's fear for her is still alive on his face. She starts to speak but the screams and yells begin, along with the calls for help.

People leap to Tyler's aid as some run to Jay and Edward. She sees the onion ground, smashed as she would have been. As everyone sweeps, Edward moves. Immediately, Bella runs to her. "Are you okay? Are you hurt," she asks, worried. "What happened? Did anyone see what happened," Eric asks, coming up behind her. She begins to feel about to black out. She's in shock.

Amid the chaos, she sees Edward's siblings looking at Edward. But they show no hint of concern for his safety. The last thing she sees before she blacks out is the look they give him. It's a mixture of disapproval and fury.

FORKS HOSPITAL
Jay opens her eyes. She's alone. Her head is slightly bandaged around her forehead. A small circle of dried blood rests on the cotton wrap, along with an IV that sits in her left arm. She sees a monitor and the open doorway, leading to a hallway. She stares into the hall. An empty waiting room is visible beyond another door.