Venus As A Boy

He sets offThe beauty in herHe's VenusVenus as a boy

He sets off
The beauty in her
He's Venus
Venus as a boy

FOREST
Edward races through the forest, dark trunks strobe past as he picks up speed, faster and faster. Jay clings to his back as it seems as though he'll collide with the tree, but he avoids them with a supernatural grace. It's frightening, nauseating, yet intoxicating. "Are you afraid, yet," he asks over the wind. "Fuck no," she exclaims, smiling.

She clings tighter, absolutely terrified. They climb in altitude. Higher and higher, above the fog layer. Finally, up ahead, as a forest's edge approaches so does a clearing is beyond. The sunlight glows white beyond the trees. They're about to emerge from the shadowy darkness, but suddenly, she finds herself sitting on the ground, against a tree. All is silent.

She's dizzy, trying to regain her equilibrium. That's when she realizes she's alone. Slowly, she rises and steps just beyond the fringe of the ferns into a perfect circle of swaying grass, wildflowers and buttery sunlight. She hears a stream nearby. Jay looks around and finally sees Edward.

His shirt is open as he stands nearby in the shade of some trees. He watches her cautiously. She takes a step toward him, but he holds up a hand. She waits. Finally, he takes a deep breath, and steps out of the shade. "This is why we don't show ourselves in sunlight," he begins. As the sun hits him, his skin literally sparkles as if embedded with thousands of tiny diamonds.

He is magnificently shimmering, like a statue carved from glittering crystal. He moves toward her. "This is what I am," he nears, clearly expecting her to recoil. "I don't know if I'm hallucinating again, but you're.. sparkling. It's so beautiful," she whispers, amazed.

He realizes that she's in awe. She reaches to touch him, but he immediately backs into the shadows, his skin normal again. "Beautiful? I'm a killer. This is the skin of a killer," he says, appalled. His arm juts into a shaft of light, sparkling again. "I don't.. You know, I don't believe that," she replies, stepping closer to him.

"Because you believe the lie. The camouflage. I'm the world's most dangerous predator. Everything about me invites you in - my voice, my face, even my smell. As if I need any of that," he's suddenly behind her, then in front of her, then by a tree. He darts so fast, Jay can only see where he lands.

"As if you could outrun me. As if you could fight me off," he abruptly rips off a large tree limb, then throws it against a tree trunk with an explosive force. Jay stands, unshakable. "I'm designed to kill," he continues. "It's okay," she whispers.

"I've killed people," he continues. "You're not killing anyone right now," she also continues. "I wanted to kill you. I've never wanted a human's blood so much in my life. I'm dangerous to you," he tells her. "But you didn't attack me. Edward, I trust you," she whispers.

"Don't," he replies. "I trust you, Edward. I'm here," she takes his hand. He reels at the warmth of her touch. She leans in, drawn to him, unaware that her throat is nearing his lips, then suddenly he's gone. Jay's spins around, only to find he's on the other side of the meadow, catching his breath.