Fire Ruins Everything

I awoke to a rooster crowing in the morning. I changed back into my now clean tavern uniform. I went downstairs to help Amber with the bakery until my shift began around dinner time. She asked me what happened to me and I told her.

"It was horrible. He has always been drunk while he works. I usually don't mind, but he slowly started wanting me to be with him, alone. I never said yes, but tonight. He just got tired of me not showing up. A punch in the face woke him, and I awake." Explaining to Amber, shrugging my shoulders as I kneed bread. 

"What do you mean? Did someone punch him? Were you a damsel and distress?" Amber gasped, giving me a wink. 

"Yes, a sweet young man helped me. He helped me ice my cheek." 

"Oh, and that was nice of you. What was his name?" She asked, walking a pan of bread to the oven. While I kneed another piece. The rooster crowing another time. Saying that it wanted to be fed. 

"I don't know. But he looked so familiar. All last night, I kept having dreams of him. Like I truly know him from somewhere else in life. I just can't place it." I say, thinking through my past. Trying to figure it all out. 

Soon I made my way to the tavern. The boss was there, but he didn't speak to me. I worked through out the day, my boss finally asked me to stay late because the worker after me was home, sick. I accepted because I would earn more money. Later when I was there I saw the young man again with the older one. Both of them were talking, occasionally looking at me.

(Another POV)

"That is her. I know it." I look toward him, taking another sip of coffee. 

"Are you positive? Because, do you remember the last time you said it was that person. And you got it wrong, and we sort of kidnapped the wrong girl. Having her scream bloody murder." He grumbled. 

Both of us looking over at her as she worked. She was cleaning the glasses like yesterday. I kept a nice eye on the boss though. Making sure he didn't get too close to her. Not wanting another accident like yesterday. Having to pay for a new window. 

"I'm positive. We have to talk to her tonight. Or this trip hasn't been worth it. Because we have to get back to the kingdom in a week, or father will send out his men to look for all of us." I say, another sip of coffee. 

He nodded his head, taking a sip of his coffee and then going back to the newspaper that he was reading. While I watch her, she was beautiful. Haven't changed since we were kids. Just growing more beautiful by the days. Wondering if she would even remember me. 

(Eve's POV)

Once in a while I brought them refills for their coffees. Soon, the rush was over and everyone started to leave, closing time! The boss told me to lock up. I walked downstairs to the basement to make sure everything was okay. I heard the door lock behind me, and I pushed against the door.

I realized someone had locked me in here. 

"Help! Someone! Anyone!" 

I yelled for someone. I walked over to the cellar's ground windows, when I saw smoke and smelled wood burning. That's when I realized the tavern was on fire and I was stuck.

Smoke, so much smoke was coming down to the basement, to the cellar. I ran to the door one last time. Trying to push my weight against it. Hoping, hoping the door would unlock from my way. But it was no use. 

I tried for the window, but it was bared down. Gasping for fresh air, and I pound on the glass, screaming! I suddenly took a deep breath of smoke, filling my lungs. Coughing more and more. I laid down on the ground to get a little bit more of some fresh air. The smoke starting to take over me. Before I lose consciousness, hearing glass breaking and someone yelling.

Yelling my name...