37 - Collateral Damage

Juice's bottom lip felt raw because he kept gnawing on it while he awaited how the conversation developed. Although he wished he could have stayed at Raine's place for more than one night, he knew he couldn't. His brothers had questions. Questions he had to answer. 

And so, he had called a cab this morning which had taken him to the clubhouse. First they discussed the events of the day before. Opie told them his mother didn't know much about the men who had taken her; she had gotten into the car voluntarily when her abductors threatened to pick up her grandchildren from school to burn them alive. 

Whoever they were — they were a bunch of insane people. 

But very well organized people, for they still lacked information. 

Interrogating the hotel's personnel hadn't given them a lead, nor did the records. They were still playing catch-up, they didn't even have a theory of what exactly was going on.

It didn't take long before the subject was ended, creating a tense atmosphere. Juice could feel their burning glares and he didn't know where to look. Did they expect him to say something? To offer his apologies? To tell them he was going to break up with Raine? 

In the end it was Jax who leaned forward, his arms resting on the table. "What do you expect from us now, Juice?"

Restlessly, he toyed with the silver skull on his thumb. He hadn't prepared himself for a question like this. More than anything, he had expected them to criticize him. 

"I don't know," he muttered. "It took me months to accept my feelings for him. I get it if you are... in shock."

"In shock?" Piney sneered. "Well, that is a hell of an understatement. This is treason of the worst kind."

Juice gritted his teeth. He knew Piney clung to old values. He was one of the founders of the club, he was famous for his racist comments — which always made Juice feel uncomfortable because of his own origins — and apart from that, there was a lot of old grudge. He had probably seen brothers die by the hand of Mayans, just like the man who had put a gun to Juice's head yesterday. Nevertheless, he had gotten his ex wife back because of Raine and him, so he had hoped for a little bit more understanding. 

"I didn't betray anyone," Juice muttered. 

"You didn't answer my question, Juice. What do you expect from us?"

"That you're not going to hunt him down." Hesitating, he looked around before casting his glance down again. "That you give me the liberty of choosing my own partner."

Another grim silence fell. He could hear their thoughts; nobody wanted to give him that freedom but they neither wanted to be the first one saying that out loud.

"How do you picture this, Juice?" Jax asked after a while. "What if you are turned against each other one day? It wouldn't be the first time that our clubs are involved in a shooting. You won't shoot at him and you'll put us all in danger."

"He won't shoot at me either."

Clay snickered in disbelief. Tilting back his head, he stared at the ceiling. "This is fucking ridiculous. Why are we even discussing this?" He turned his gaze back to his men. "I don't want a Mayan sucker at my table. It's simple as that. If you need a cock to suck, you can take mine."

The idea alone made him shudder. Heat ascended to his cheeks and he no longer dared to look at his president. His brothers chuckled, but Juice found it a gross insult. As if that was the only reason he was with Raine.

"What if I'm no longer involved in matters concerning the Mayans?" he suggested. "The past years it hasn't been much of an issue anyway." Hopeful, he looked up. It was Chibs who he was looking at, at who he was pinning his hope. He had known about their relationship for a while, he had kept their secret to himself.