|28|

The room was quiet, the only audible sound was the sloshing of water in the tub. The light of the rising moon peeked through the window of the bathroom, replacing the need for artificial light.

After their love making, Vincent helped Spiraea up and into the bathroom where he let the water run for a warm bath. He cleaned them both up with a wet flannel before helping Spiraea into the tub and sliding in behind her.

Spiraea didn't hesitate leaning back into him, her head resting against his warm chest as they soaked together. For once, Spiraea's mind was relatively blank. She was utterly relaxed, enjoying the touch from her mate as she waded in the beginnings of tiredness. There was something tranquil within her, she didn't feel the need to anything besides exist in that moment- it was freeing.

One of Vincents arms laid against the rim of the tub, the other wrapped around Spiraea's waist. His fingers lazily tracing the skin on her stomach under the warm water. He couldn't stop thinking about how proud he was of her, about how beautiful she was, about how deeply he was in love with her. He wanted to tell the whole world, scream it from the rooftops.

"I know you said that you didn't want to get married," Vincent began, breaking the quiet with his voice. There was a softness in his tone, had he not displayed it countless times before, it would've surprised him of its quality.

Spiraea cut him off before he could continue speaking, her eyes pinched shut as she let go a small sigh. "I didn't want to have a marriage ceremony, it wasn't because I don't want to marry you."

The blank bliss of her mind now replaced with the real reason behind her hesitation, she didn't want to ruin the evening that had been pleasant thus far but she also didn't want to lie or keep things from from him. It had caused them to become distant with each other the last time.

"Why?"

The water in the tub sloshed once more as Spiraea pulled away, turning back to look at Vincent over her shoulder.

"Because I can't wear a white dress, I don't have a father to walk me down the aisle- it's just too many bad memories. After Alpha Adam and Luna Leora's wedding... It's just not for me."

Vincent had only heard her raise her voice once before; if he'd have known that the subject would make her so upset he would never have brought it up.

"I'm sorry baby," Vincent apologised for upsetting her but she stopped him.

"It's not your fault," She murmured quietly as she contemplated telling him the rest of her past. She figured he sort of deserved it after practically blowing up on him.

Her hand reached down to intertwine hers with his. Tracing his knuckles in his comforting motion, more for herself than anything else. She wanted to tell him, but that didn't mean it would be easy.

"I was 6 when mi mama murió. It was like papi died too." Her lip trembled at the memory of her catatonic father. Never drunk enough to feel nor sober enough to care for his young daughter. She reminded him too much of the woman he loved, had lost, unjustly.

"He stopped caring, even for me. When alcohol stopped helping, he started the drogas... And entered a, cómo se dice, um, owe."

"A debt," Vincent supplied, Spiraea nodding gratefully. He desperately reminded himself to breathe, to stay calm- he had a feeling this story would not end well. He had to focus on being there for her, not about how angry it made him to think of how much she had suffered.

"The gang didn't care about his pain, by the time they came to collect the debt, my papa couldn't live without the drugs. He sold me to repay his debt."