|33|

Two more weeks passed before Vincent was finally ready to start his search.

Alpha Sebastian had sent over a multitude of information, in a lot greater detail than Vincent initially expected. Sebastian had narrowed down the search area to roughly ten square miles of forested terrain.

With this information Vincent was certain that it would take less than a week to search the whole area. He had spent most of the two weeks that had gone by planning every detail of the quest. From the pack members he would take with him, the routes they would take and their search methods.

He had given little thought to how he would convince this Alpha, if he found him, to help him out. He wasn't even entirely sure this Alpha was even a cognizant wolf; for all he knew this mystery Alpha was dead— or worse yet, a rogue.

Vincent finished up his final briefing with his team before going home to pack a bag for the trip. Spiraea had also taken the day off helping in the nursery to pack her own things for her stay at his families home.

When he got back he could smell something delicious from the kitchen, a small groan leaving his lips at the inviting scent. He followed it, fining Spiraea swaying her hips gently to her own musical humming whilst she stirred the pot on the stove.

He reached her in seconds, his arms wrapping around her tightly; it was almost as if he were trying to fill himself with her touch before he had to go. He inhaled her soft scent, laying his forehead on her shoulder with a groan.

How could he really leave her behind? What if something happened whilst he was away? Even if nothing happened, he still wanted her, needed her. She was his— his to protect, to love... How could he do that if he wasn't by her side?

Spiraea turned in his arms, practically feeling his confliction. She was conflicted too— in the last couple weeks she had barely seen her mate. He would come home when she was in bed, they would have sex and cuddle. Spiraea always fell asleep straight away (no matter how much she tried not to), and he would be gone in the mornings before Spiraea woke up.

His absence made Spiraea feel as if he had already left on his trip. She was grateful at least for his touch whilst they slept, but soon she would be without that too. She wasn't sure she would be able to cope.

Spiraea finished cooking dinner quickly. They sat down together to eat, the atmosphere sombre. Though Vincent had promised not to take long, Spiraea wondered if this could be their last meal together.

She didn't mean for her thoughts to be morbid, but she couldn't help it. For the last two weeks everything had just felt wrong— she wanted this to be over.

After dinner they cleaned up in their practiced routine before both heading to pack their bags. The room was silent, the air around them hung practically charged with electricity.

Vincent eyed every move Spiraea made as she packed away some of her clothes into a small suitcase. His eyes barely even focused on his own packing. The animal in him was charging forward, not wanting to be without his mate, demanding that he have her, that he keep her. He didn't want to let her out of his sight.

He followed her as she moved to the bathroom, lingering like a shadow as she started the shower and undressed. Spiraea felt her entire body heat up under his gaze, there was just something semi-erotic about watching him, watch her.

His eyes followed her every move, drinking in her features with hunger and urgency. She shivered as his eyes went from her bright eyes, dark curls resting on her shoulders, plump lips and slender neck trailing lower. He didn't stop, taking in every inch of her olive skin with predatory interest.