Mission 16: Horror of Darkness

"You know, two episodes ago, I would've been cheering Fearless Leader on as he returned back to the castle," Nora admitted. "But now that I know what's waiting for him in there, it doesn't seem right."

"Yeah," Yang nodded. "We may as well be encouraging Jaune to jump off a cliff."

"Not very poetic, but still true," Ren sighed.

"There's no way Jaune can defeat Mundus!" Ruby said despairingly. "He's too powerful. He'll be smashed the moment he and the King of Grimm meet!"

"Oh my gods, you people are pathetic!" Adam Taurus snapped. Surprised, everyone turned to look at him. "Is this not the same Jaune Arc who braved the trials of a god's tower, and defeated the Relic of Choice? Now he has to fight Mundus, but you're convinced his life is forfeit. Make up your minds!" There was a moment of silence.

"Adam has a point," Weiss finally spoke up. "Jaune has battled against the power of a god before, and won."

"But only because Adam was there to help him!" Pyrrha pointed out.

"So? Trish is on the island with him," Blake reminded everyone. "She could help him fight against Mundus."

"I suppose we'll just have to watch, and see what happens," Ozpin determined.

"That would be the ideal way to find out," Abe nodded, turning off the lights as he started the projector back up.

The episode began with Jaune making his way up the stone walkway, back towards the castle. His wounds were gone, signifying that his Aura had returned, though the tears in his clothes still remained. He approached the drop off where the drawbridge would lower, then pulled out the Wheel of Destiny.

"Time to put you back where you belong," he declared, inserting the artifact into the orifice at the edge of the walkway. He watched as the wheel rotated, before a cube of stone under the artifact rose into the air, finally shifting to face the castle. A beam of light suddenly shot out of the Wheel of Destiny and struck a gem beneath the drawbridge, which lit up with a red glow. The drawbridge slowly lowered to the ground, allowing the Huntsman to enter the castle once again.

"Well, the castle's unlocked," Velvet whispered. "I'm a little nervous."

"It's okay, Bun," Coco assured her. "We're all worried about Jaune."

Jaune made his way back inside the castle, through the entrance hall and back into the main room of the castle. As soon as he did this, his eyes widened. He rushed forward, past the statue of the knight and onto the staircase, attempting to see if it was some elaborate trick, but there was no illusion to dispel. The statue of Mundus was gone.

"Gone?!" Emerald spluttered.

"But where could it even go?" Mercury demanded. "It'd take hundreds of people to move an idol that large."

"Unless..." Everybody looked at Cinder, who was staring at the screen, eyes wide. "What if that statue actually was Mundus?"

Jaune looked up at the ceiling, out the giant gaping hole that was the skylight Tyrian had plummeted to his death through earlier.

"You've been watching me, haven't you?" he muttered. "Assessing me, judging whether or not I'm even worth fighting yourself." There was a moment of silence as Jaune glared up at the sky, before he smiled ruefully. "Well, I hope I'm meeting all your standards," he sarcastically stated.