Chapter IV

"Princess Malia!" a Guardian called from behind.

Malia tried to blink herself awake.

She had stayed in the study, long after Elias had gone home. She was interested in his perception of history and policy. Next time she met him, she wanted to be prepared with answers. She had a feeling he would always challenge her with good questions.

She estimated two hours of sleep before her Maidens, Beatrice and Geraldine, had woken her for her morning bath. She was most afraid of meeting a Council member along the way to the kitchen. They always seemed to know if there was something on her mind.

She turned to meet the Guardian as he stopped in front of her. He was young, younger than her, and he bowed, holding his sword back.

"Princess Malia, I have seen none of the Council members this morning," he said. He was fidgeting with the closing, holding his sword, debating whether he should share the news with Malia first.

"Please, go on," Malia said.

"Commander has sent me to update the castle with news from the border," the Guardian said, referring to Tobias.

Malia's ears perked up and eyes grew wide.

"Princess Malia," the Guardian said, "there was an attack."

Malia's heart stopped for a moment as Tobias's face flashed in front of her eyes. Blinking, she composed herself and reprimanded herself for thinking the worst.

"Were there many injured?" Malia asked.

As selfish as it was, she still hoped Tobias wasn't one of them.

"A few," the Guardian said. "They are being transported back to the castle as we speak. Commander asked me to ride ahead to alert the castle for medical aide and sending reinforcements back to the border."

"Tobias is coming home?" Malia asked, hopefully.

"No, Princess Malia," the Guardian looked distressed when Malia's face fell flat. "Commander has asked me to relay that the forces are still holding steady with the uninjured men."

His words did nothing to comfort Malia.

"The reinforcements were present for backup," the Guardian continued, "the Commander thought this might happen. We were prepared, but accidents happen."

"How were the men hurt?" Malia asked.

"The intruders took a few of the men on patrol. There were many more than we expected back at their camp. We could bring our men back to our side of the border with no casualties. It seemed they only wanted to warn us or test our strength." the Guardian explained.

"Thank you," Malia said, touching him on the side of the shoulder. The Guardian straightened up and looked pleased.

"What is your name?" Malia asked.

"Oliver, Princess Malia," he answered.

"Thank you for your service and your bravery, Oliver."

Oliver bowed again and relented, before turning to continue down the hall. He would be looking for The Council next and she didn't want to be near him when he found them.

Malia followed the path to the dining area.

She didn't expect The Council to have any orders. Tobias would be keeping the force steady and the Guardians had already secured the perimeter. But something about the situation worried Malia.

She realized she forgot to ask Oliver which kingdom had instigated the attack. Knowing more about which kingdom was desperate to get their hands on Kaurtyn would help figure out what strategy to use next.