Chapter XVI

Familiar arms gathered around Malia, the figure resting their head on Malia's shoulder to stop her from walking up the stairs.

She smiled languidly, breathing a sigh of relief, having not seen her friend for some time.

"Are you ready to talk?" Malia asked.

She felt the head give a nod on her shoulder. She patted the hands that rested on her waist and led the way to one of the many rooms abandoned on the top floor. She remembered them both running between them, opening and closing doors as they hid and sought.

It wasn't often that Isabelle expressed herself or showed affection. When she did, Malia welcomed it as if Isabelle had been in another realm all this time, and she was coming home.

Isabelle would keep things inside but deal with them in time. The times she relaxed were when it was common to receive a smile or a hug.

Malia folded one ankle over the other in her spot on the chair and turned towards Isabelle. She didn't enter this room often. She imagined it must have been a guest room with its furnishings a bed, a desk and two sitting chairs.

"Tell me everything," Malia said.

Isabelle gave a slight roll of her eyes and rested her head on the arm she had propped on the low windowsill. The gold buttons of her uniform were even more defined against the black because of the light streaming inside. Her blue eyes seemed like they were glowing. Regardless of how she appeared on the outside, she was excited to share her news.

"It started from the kidnapping," Isabelle started. "While you were resting, I was looking into the other kingdoms, with Tobias's help and Victor's permission."

Isabelle looked at Malia, who encouraged her to continue.

"There was someone visiting the castle after you got back," Isabelle said. "I'd never seen them before but I didn't want to alarm anyone. I think it was Leo's son, I traced him back to Wathora. I surveilled him for a couple days, but he didn't give me any reason to be suspicious. He remained around the castle when Leo was free and he found a family to stay with during his visit to the kingdom. He wasn't causing any trouble. I would still check up on things every day."

"Do you think he planted the bomb?" Malia said. Isabelle shrugged.

"It's possible. I think it's a possibility that someone in a higher position is controlling him. I think he was sent here to carry a task he didn't commit to. He seemed friendly, he reminded me of Neil," Isabelle said.

Mentioning an old crush didn't spark any memories in Malia anymore. She hadn't even ever mentioned it to Isabelle. He was a good friend of Victor's and therefore of Isabelle's. Maybe the two of them would grow to be friends in time.

"I think the fire was an accident," Isabelle bringing Malia's attention back and tilting her face away. "The bomb was planted there and I have my sights on Leo's son. I think he did it to prove that he caused an accident, but without causing us any harm. Both of them have been missing since that day."

"Did you find them?" Malia asked excitedly, but Isabelle's face remained unchanged. She was hopeful to hear news about Leo.

"Not yet," Isabelle admitted. "I think they're in Wathora but I can't go to the castle in my uniform. I reached the kingdom and I stayed there for a day, but there was no sight of them. I didn't ask around to avoid blowing my cover."

"Did you hear of anything else while you were there?" Malia asked, worried.

Isabelle shook her head.

"Whatever is going in on is top secret. The kingdom is quiet, not too different from how Phelmor used to be." Isabelle said, reminiscently.

"What do you suggest we do?" Malia asked.