Chapter VII

Malia dressed and readied herself, having sent word with Isabelle to keep her Maidens away.

Malia strode into the Council Room, her thoughts now circling like a tornado inside her head. She was furious at herself for not being able to save King Roman and disappointed in The Council for not paying heed to many warnings from the other kingdoms.

When she pushed open the doors, the sudden echo caused the Council members to stop and peer over the table at the source.

There were three members in a huddle. Antoine, Samira, and Valerie.

Antoine paused to look at her with a blank expression, Samira looked concerned, and Valerie didn't take well to the interruption. Valerie must have thought this would be another one of Malia's tantrums.

Instead of announcing herself or taking her seat on the throne, she walked up to the table in long strides and glared.

She put her hands on the table, causing a few of the papers to fall the floor.

"What is the meaning of-" Valerie started.

"I want to speak to the other rulers," Malia interrupted.

A moment passed. Samira spoke first.

"It's too dangerous," she said.

"I want to speak to them," Malia insisted, "if they are forming an alliance, I want to stop it before it has a chance to reach inside Kaurtyn. They have already been trying at the border."

Samira looked at Antoine, helpless.

"You want to get yourself and others killed?" Valerie looked angry. "Weaken our forces on a whim? That's what you're asking of us?"

Malia grew more frustrated.

"Don't you see?" Malia raised her voice. "If we don't stop this now, by the time it reaches Kaurtyn we may not have a choice. We could be overtaken. We're putting the Guardians at the border and innocent Subjects in danger while we sit all high and mighty at the castle."

Antoine tried to reach for her hand, but Malia recoiled. She took a step back from the table, distancing herself.

"Malia," he said, gently. "We know you're upset, this has been an emotional time for everyone - "

Antoine paused, seeing Malia's retreating figure, but he pushed forward.

"What happened to Phelmor wasn't right," Antoine tried.

Malia realized that speaking to The Council would be no use. It would just result in further disappointment. She wasn't looking for delegation. She wanted a course of action. She wanted justice for King Roman. She was almost at the back doors when she heard Valerie call behind her.

"Let us make this clear," Valerie started, "you are forbidden to leave this kingdom. You are forbidden to meet with the other rulers. Your crowning may be approaching but until then, we are still in charge. We make the final decision."

Malia didn't turn back. She stomped, closing the last few steps, pushing the door open with all her might. Anger clouded her thoughts as she walked down the halls. She couldn't understand why she had hoped to reason with The Council in the first place. They never valued her ideas. They never cared about her or the kingdom.

She needed to talk to someone with knowledge about the same matters as The Council, but would be willing to listen to her ideas.

Tobias was gone and Elena couldn't help from the kingdom, nor she could she lay Malia's case to The Council. Victor would also forbid her from leaving and follow her around the castle until she cast the idea out of her head. Isabelle, as brave as she appeared from the outside, was not an adequate risk taker without sufficient reward. That left one other person.