Chapter V

The trip to Phelmor was longer than Malia had expected.

It was approaching sunset as they crossed the border, remembering to take the longer path so they wouldn't cross the Guardians at the border. Tobias wouldn't have approved of the plan. They were putting themselves in danger, Malia more than the other two.

Malia grasped at her jacket, keeping it close against the crisp autumn air.

Victor and Isabelle had each brought their horses, Malia trailed behind them. She had never been an avid equestrian, but she knew how to ride a horse on brief trips around the castle grounds or into the kingdom. For most trips, she was required to take the carriage.

It was Victor's idea, for better travel and to avoid suspicion should they come across anyone from Kaurtyn or Phelmor. It would also be easier to hide in the canopy of the dense forest. The people of Phelmor weren't hunters. A Subject wouldn't be mistaking one of them as fast-moving animals rather than people.

As they drew closer to Phelmor, Victor slowed his horse to a stop in the thick of the forest. Isabelle followed suit.

The sun was setting on the horizon. It made the kingdom look like a dome, accented by bright orange and pink as the backdrop. She imagined parents putting their children to sleep. Maybe the older children were still playing outside with their friends. For a moment, she imagined being one of the children, evading her parent's pleas to rest for school the next morning in favour of more time to run and play. The daydream in front of her eyes disappeared as suddenly as it had come. She turned her attention away to see what had caused Victor to stop.

"What," Malia started as Isabelle walked into the trees. She had noticed something too.

Victor stayed in his place beside Malia, with one hand on his sword.

Malia inwardly cursed for not having the foresight to bring a weapon to protect herself.

Isabelle trod through the low-hanging branches with her weapon drawn. She didn't like to take chances. If there was someone in this forest that was trying to hurt Malia, Isabelle would be the first to take any steps necessary to neutralize or eliminate the threat.

Isabelle stopped again, and this time Malia heard the rustling of leaves. It was coming fraom the path to Isabelle's right. Malia moved from behind Victor to see the source of the sound but Victor's arm restrained her. He wasn't going to let her take another step.

Isabelle was no longer visible through the trees and the sound of rustling stopped soon after. She gripped Victor's arm with both hands and stood on her toes, waiting for Isabelle to appear from the clearing unharmed. She looked between the trees, hoping for the traces of an animal, perhaps spooked by the horses.

The rustling of leaves started again, but this time it was paired with footsteps. Malia thought she heard two distinct pairs of footsteps. In the clearing where Isabelle had disappeared, she reappeared with a man.

He was short by average standards, just an inch shorter than Malia. He had a bald head and his clothes were torn. Malia looked closer at his torn clothes and his face, both covered in dirt. His eyes were tired and it looked like he hadn't eaten for days. He made a step towards Malia but Isabelle lunged forward first, sword in hand, before he could step toward them. She was still holding on to Victor's arm. He stood just outside of the thick blanket of trees.

"Isabelle, stand down," Malia said.

Even with his tired face and clothes tattered, Malia still saw the resemblance to the man she had visited with her parents. Maybe she remembered him because she had few vivid memories with her parents. Through it all, she could see the man's kind brown eyes. When she first met, it reminded her of her own father's. She had even wondered if they were related.