Chapter XXII

Malia rushed out of the door, sword swinging.

A man in purple rushed toward her but before he could reach her, Tobias stepped between them. She moved by Isabelle's side, and although her friend's eyes widened for a half a second seeing Malia on the battlefield, she went back to her place with renewed energy.

While Malia was still afraid of striking, she put Oliver's defence lessons she had been practicing every night to use. She shifted on her feet and raced, the Zoldiers unable to catch her small frame.

She fought on behalf of everyone she had lost—her parents, King Roman, Samira—and everyone who was hurt, Leo and Elias.

She angled her sword, taking every blow coming in her way, the sound reverberating in her ears. She ducked. She evaded the tip of their blades. She could still feel the sting from Valerie's press.

A Zoldier bolted toward her and she stepped aside at the last minute, the Zoldier hit the ground with the force from his approach.

Adrenaline coursed through her veins, until she came face to face with a Zoldier that didn't appear any older than she was.

She saw the hesitancy in his eyes; it reflected her in her own.

She stood in front of him, unblinking and unretreating. When the noise of two swords clanged by his ear, the reverie broke.

He charged forward and she stopped his first strike by clutching on to her sword with both arms. He moved to her right but overstepped. She stepped to the left, making haste, circling him when he regained his balance. She took charge this time but he was prepared, hitting her sword back with so much force she almost fell backward. She jabbed and he withdrew. He moved forward and she did the same. It was an impossible match, neither wanting to fight or hurt the other.

He approached, unsure if he should, and she drew out of her stance. He didn't move any closer. She looked out behind them and he followed her gaze. The Zoldiers were falling in great numbers, there were simply too many Guardians. But amongst the purple, she saw patches of black cloth, unmoving.

The young Zoldier bolted to where another young Zoldier was fighting a Guardian. He pulled his friend back, receding from the madness. Two Guardians blocked their path as they tried to escape. Malia held out a white handkerchief from her uniform and marched to the top of the steps.

She hit her sword against the column to draw attention, using it to hold her white cloth in the air.

The fighting stopped.

The ones near her who had first heard the noise and saw the symbol stopped first, then like a wave the clanging halted all the way through the distance.

There was an older man on horseback, in purple, who stood a few feet away from her. He mirrored her action, accepting her withdrawal and signing his own.

Victor was at her side in moments.

"It's over," he said in wonder.

Slowly, the remaining Zoldiers retreated. Putting their weapons back in their holdings and taking their horses, some tied to the forest beside the castle.

Isabelle approached her next, her a gash across her arm, a dark spot visible even through her black uniform.

"Don't worry, it'll heal," she said before Malia could say anything. She was unworried.

Elias opened the doors, walking forward to join them at the top of the stairs.

"Where are Antoine and Valerie?" Elias looked between them. Victor still watched the retreating Zoldiers.

"They fled," Victor reported. "We weren't able to catch them before they left. They took some of the Zoldiers with them. My guess is that they'll be trying to strike a deal to stay in Zhamdir."

He apologized to Malia but Malia shook her head.

"Don't be," she said, "we're all safe."

Tobias found them after instructing the Guardians, but Malia didn't hear any of the words he said. There were shallow cuts across her collarbone and arms but she didn't feel any pain.

She had gone into battle and made it out alive.

She thought about the Zoldier and his deep, brown eyes. He had reminded her of Elias. Though he was her enemy, she was relieved that he and his friend were safe.

From that time, carrying on to the next few days, everyone refocused to cleaning the castle.

Malia couldn't watch the Counsellors and Guardians retrieve their fallen comrades in the Guard Den and the courtyard. Tobias took charge in handling those affairs with Zehra and James following his commands.

He had informed the remaining three Council members about Samira's untimely demise, as he did to Neil and Samira's husband, Harsh. Malia had approached Neil to comfort him and he had given her a watery smile. She hugged him, thanking him and his mother for her service. She promised they would both make her proud.

The soldiers from Phelmor were debriefed and returned home.

The Zoldiers had already left the castle in Phelmor, as Neil and Oliver had reported back to her. She returned the next day with a few of the Guardians and Tobias to talk to the people of Phelmor. They were more than willing be shifted within Kaurtyn's borders. They had agreed to provide products of their farming land while Kaurtyn offered protect from the other kingdoms. They would still have to find use for the castle with no living monarchs. Victor and Isabelle had suggested they be stationed there to convert the castle to a fortress but Malia disagreed. She couldn't bear the thought of them being away for lengths at a time.

Elias was determined to draw Antoine and Valerie from hiding but Malia stopped him from taking any measures. Now wasn't the time. She would have to face the rulers of Zhamdir and Wathora one day, she wanted her kingdom to be strong and united when she did. She wanted to approach them not as an heir or a princess, but a queen.

With Leo recovering, the kitchen was made to be functional again, after the Maidens worked double duty to prepare meals in the servant's quarters.

On his first day back, she had joined him in the kitchen, making a mess as she sifted flour and Leo taught her the proper way to prepare fruits and vegetables. She smiled as she worked with him in silence, and he returned it, nudging her to continue as there were lots of hungry Guardians waiting to start their day in the new dining hall. She carried the dishes out herself, along with some help from the Maidens and Guardians, and they cheered when they were fed their breakfast.

She didn't want to eat until everyone else was finished their meal so she walked around, joining in on the laughs and conversation, allowing herself to fraternize freely, without any fear of retribution from the now defunct Council.

She saw a figure by the door and she ran toward them, wrapping her arms their shoulder.

Elena patted the crown of her head, running her fingers down Malia's. hair.

"Happy birthday, my queen," Elena said.

Malia couldn't stop grinning.