Chapter XIX

Before long, the five of them were gathered in the courtyard. Malia, Elias, Antoine, Valerie, and Samira.

Tobias had been called back to the Guardians while James and Zehra were assembling the Counsellors in the kingdom.

"Malia," she heard a voice call from around the corner. Victor approached the group, some of the Guardians behind him, his face focused in tension lines.

"This isn't right," Victor said. "The army is made up of the farmers from Phelmor, not Zhamdir or Wathora. They have families and homes, they'll all be killed. A few of them have already died outside the forest, but as soon as Tobias saw what was happening, he ordered a cease-fire. They're only puppets on someone else's strings."

Malia shook her head. She had only wanted to protect the people of Phelmor, people whose lives and livelihoods were already vulnerable after King Roman's death.

"It doesn't matter," Antoine said, taking a step forward. "They are still enemies to this kingdom and our priority is protecting Kaurtyn."

Malia looked back at him, murderous.

"Phelmor has always been an ally," she said. "King Roman was an ally. It's our duty to protect his people."

"King Roman is dead." Valerie spit out. "It's not our place and no longer our promise to look after his people."

"They are outnumbered and untrained," Malia said, her voice wavering from her anger. "You wish for them to be massacred in hatred and blindness?"

"They are our enemies," Antoine said.

"They are our allies," Victor agreed with Malia. "We should offer them protection."

"No," Antoine said.

"Now look, " Samira started.

"No," Antoine interrupted. "We have no reason to offer them protection. If their people die then we obtain their land, they already don't have a monarch."

His words left a bitter taste in Malia's mouth.

"You're wrong here, Antoine," Samira stepped aside, joining Victor and Malia.

"I agree with Malia too," Elias said. "This is a time to offer our help, that would be Malia's way as ruler. We stand by her decision."

"What if it's a trap?" Antoine asked. "What if they're looking to implant the people here to spy on the kingdom or take it down from the inside?"

"We will give them a place in the kingdom, rather than the castle until they're able to return to their homes," Victor said. "I'll talk to Tobias."

"I'll make arrangements," Samira said, sizing Antoine up and down before leaving behind Victor.

Malia shook her head in disgust, and stormed away with Elias by her side.

Within the hour, both the Guardians and the small army from Phelmor were ushered into the full auditorium opening behind the Council Room.

She explained that the Kaurtyn would be offering protection and there would be no need or reason for war. She wanted them to be allies, regardless of the poison the other kingdoms had spewed or control they had exerted over Phelmor. She would not abandon her ally.

Tobias led them to protective spaces the Counsellors had set up inside the kingdom under James and Zehra's supervision. Seeing the gratefulness and appreciation from the people solidified the fact in Malia's mind that her decision was right.

She stayed in the Council Room as the last of the people from Phelmor exited. Only a few of the older men and women had attended the meeting, carrying her words back to the rest of the kingdom of Phelmor and their families. As she saw the final straw hat being led through the front doors, she rose. There was still planning to be done. She wanted to be a part of it.