Lonesome Flats

"Do you have something to protect you from the sun?"

"Yes, Aunty."

"And water? You have plenty of water, right? It's very hot and dry next to the Glitter dessert."

"Yes, Aunty, I have, like, 5 bottles of water."

Trollex floated in the air in front of Queen Essence, who seemed to be trying to overlook his packing. Quincy was standing next to Poppy and Branch, all of whom were trying to conceal their laughter.

He was wearing a large rimmed sun hat that had a little fish pinned into it. He also had on a thinner cloak this time, one that was white with colored pixels trimming the bottom. He also had what appeared to be a glow ring sitting loosely around his neck, which had been a gift from the Funky family.

Essence gave the Techno king a once over, before shaking her head and pulling him to her chest. "Nope, I've decided you're not going, it's too dangerous."

"Essence, you can let him go, you know." Quincy stepped forward, looking considerably smaller without his cape, and softer around the eyes without his glasses. "He'll be fine, Poppy and Branch will be with him."

Poppy stepped forward, smiling brightly. "Yeah! We'll keep a close eye on him!"

Branch bit his tongue, doing his best not to bring up the fact they had already lost Trollex once.

The queen of funk seemed torn, holding a blushing Trollex a little closer to her chest before relenting with a sigh. She released her hold on him, and he floated upwards to be eye level with her. "I'll be fine, "Aunty. Don't worry so much." He spun around, pointing at his cloak. "This awesome cape will keep me safe!"

Poppy let out a squeal, adoring how cute Trollex could be. Essence melted, losing the argument right then and there.

Branch looked up at Quincy, waving his hands pointedly at Trollex and what he'd done to the girls. "How does he DO that?!"

Quincy just laughed with a small shake of his head. "We may never know, Branch."

The small group made their way towards the Reception room, but once there Essence wouldn't let her newest family member leave without a smooch on the cheek. "Be safe, my little guppy."

Trollex paused, hearing his mother's voice for a moment. He smiled, though it didn't quite reach his eyes. "I will, Aunty." He looked up as some bubbles came down from the ceiling. He let one suck him up, waving as the bubbles carried him, Poppy and Branch to their destination. "By Aunty, Uncle, I love you guys!" And with that, they were on their way.

Essence and Quincy stood together, looking up at the ceiling as it shut behind the departing bubbles. The queen smiled softly. "I don't regret any of that."

Quincy chuckled, nuzzling his wife's cheek. "Me either."

Trollex relaxed in the bubble, trusting the funk trolls technology to be reliable. He glanced up at the brim of his sun hat. "Beat, you awake, or still asleep?"

He was greeted with a groggy groan and the little fish poking his head out from under the hat. "Mph, I am now. What's up?"

"Well, I just wanted to ask if you were doing alright. You've been sleeping a lot up here." Trollex reached up, gently pulling Beat from under the hat so he could look at him.

Beat yawned, using a fin to rub his eye. "Yeah, I just sleep a lot when I'm out of water. We fish aren't like you trolls; we can't stay out of water to long."

"Wait, what? Why didn't you mention something sooner? I gotta get you back to the ocean!" Trollex was about to pop the bubble, but was stopped by Beat shaking his head.