Chapter 3

•••

•••

Evie sighed - she seemed to be doing that a lot recently - and stood up from her bed. What Kim told her was bothering her. Her words were in a loop in her head.

"This is not your fault, believe me, you did nothing wrong. It's just... Maybe one day you'll know,"

Evie wanted to know what her best friend was talking about but she had no idea. Besides, she knew her siblings or Kim wouldn't say a thing. Sam's gang? No way. Even though she was friends with all of them, - keyword 'was' - she knew they wouldn't speak either. If she spoke to them of a sudden after months - even though they were and still are the one who ignored her - and after she was seen drunk days ago, it would be weird and it would be obvious that wanted something. There was no chance for her to know what they were hiding. Spying? Not possible. They seemed to be aware of everything. Their senses were pretty well developed, which was weird, or impressive, it depends. The council? It was the same. Talking to them after a year would be suspicious and they were intelligent. They would know her real intention in a second. Not forgetting that her mother was also part of the council. Sue knew her daughter. Even though their relationship deteriorated, some things don't change.

Evie gently slapped her face with both of her hands. She needed to start working. She had a presentation to do for History class. So Evie took her jeans jacket and left her room. There was a book store in Port Angeles. She planned on going there to started her searches. She liked doing research in books first. Sometimes you could find things in books that you couldn't on the internet. And this time, she told her mom and the latter agreed. Evie learned the lesson. She didn't want to be grounded again or her mother to call all the tribe to look for her daughter.

The moon was already high in the sky when Evie left the library. She borrowed some books and were ready to leave. She received a text from her mother saying that she was meeting with the council again. Seth and Leah were probably there too or at Sam's place as the usual. Evie hesitated a few second to scroll around the city since nobody would know it. But she scratched this idea of her mind. Evie then climbed on her motorbike and put her helmet on. She started the engine and drove off.

Everything was calm. It was dark, the pure light of the moon illuminating the road. Only the sound of Evie's motorbike engine could be heard. The trees were scrolling quickly. There was no one but Evie. Well... it was what she thought. She was still riding her motorbike, but she felt an uneasy feeling. The same feeling of that day when she thought there was someone in her backyard. She held tightly the motorbike and tried to focus on the road. But it was like her entire body, to from her mind to her cells were on edge, trying to tell her something. So she stopped riding and parked on the side road. She climbed off the vehicle and put off her helmet. Evie opened her jacket since she felt like her body temperature increased in a second. Carefully, she watched her surroundings, looking for anything, she didn't even know what exactly. But her instinct was telling her to check her surrounded and to stay on guard. There was something, she knew it. Evie scanned the trees, listen to every sound. For a minute or two, she saw and heard nothing weird. She was about to give up when she heard a sound coming from behind. Evita instantly turned around, ready to fight. But she saw a woman. An incredibly beautiful woman. Her skin was pale and porcelain-like. It was contrasting a lot with her red hair like fire and crimson eyes like blood. Evie wasn't feeling comfortable around that woman. There was something weird and unhuman with her. Evita's entire body and soul were telling her to not trust her, even to fight her. And how did she got there? She had no cars or any type of vehicle with her. Did she was already there? Maybe she was waiting for help? But she didn't seem injured or disturbed. She didn't seem to be needed help. The woman was looking straight at Evie's eyes with a small, almost unnoticeable smirk.