Chapter 15

•••

•••

Evie, who was in her wolf form, jumped into the floor from the rock. She walked behind Edward and stood next to him. Edward nodded to Evie, greeting her and she did the same. After a few minutes, Jacob and Bella came in sight. Bella came to hug Edward and he thanked Jacob. Bella smiled at Evie who nodded in return. She then turned back and left them. During the rest of the day, Evie patrolled around the area. She didn't notice anything that stood out of normal. She took her mission really seriously. Every thought that could be disturbing were buried in her mind. All that mattered was the upcoming battle. Nothing else.

When night fell, Evie came back. But it was also storming. Edward chose a pretty high place in the mountain. Jacob was sat on a log in front of the tent as the wind was blowing. Evie walked past him and lied in front of the tent as if she was guarding it. Evie glanced multiple times to Jacob. She wanted to talk to him. But she didn't know how. After their "talk" the day before, they never talk again. What he said was playing over and over again in her head. He confessed to her. She should feel happy but she wasn't completely. Because he still had Bella in his mind. He loved her for years and then he had feelings for Evie? She didn't want to be a rebound. She didn't want to be anybody's second choice. Evie shook her head, trying to push her thoughts away. It wasn't the moment. She had to focus on the upcoming battle. People lives were at cost. After a moment, Evie could hear Bella literally freezing. The female shape-shifter could hear Edward feeling guilty saying that he shouldn't have chosen a so high place in the mountain. Bella tried to reassure him but it didn't work. After a few minutes, Jacob stood up and entered the tent. After a heated discussion with Edward, Jacob lied next to Bella and took her in his arms. Thanks to his high body temperature, Bella wouldn't lose the use of her feet. It pained Edward to see the girl he loved in the arm of someone else. Outside, Evie shifted position. She heard everything. At least now she knew who Jacob really loved. It wasn't Evie, she was sure of it. And even though she hated to admit it, she was hurt. And she obviously wasn't over Jacob yet.

"You have one of, even the best self-control out of all the shifters," Evie heard after a moment. When she turned her head, she saw Edward sitting next to her. She knew he was referring as the fact that Jacob was with Bella. She knew that Edward knew that Jacob and Evie imprinted on each other. However, she didn't know if Bella knew. The vampire couldn't help but chuckle when he heard her thoughts. She was still in her wolf form so to communicate, Edward had to read her thoughts. She just had said that because she was a master in controlling her feeling. That was the thing she could do the best, according to her. "I can see that,"

"He loves her. I can't do anything about it," Evie thoughts.

"I'm not sure about that," Edward said with a soft smile. Evie looked at him, a bit confused. "You'll be surprised by how much he thinks about you," it confused Evie even more but she just scoffed.

"If you say so," she thought. "He won't give up on her, you know. Not until you change her. And even after that..."

"I know," Edward said, looking in front of him. "And I won't give up on her either. But if she's happy with someone else, then I'll let her go,"