Chapter 8

•••

•••

Days. Weeks passed. Evie was now used of patrolling around the forest with her fellow pack members. Nothing had happened. The red-headed vampire didn't come back. It was calm but they knew something would happen sooner or later. It was still kind of hard and awkward to be around the other pack member for Evie. She was still uncomfortable with them. It was like everything went back to how it was before a year ago. Seth was always happily talking to Evie, Leah too but in her way, their mother told her she was so relieved that she knew the tribe secrets and went back at being the caring mother she was, Embry and Quil became all teasy and friendly again, and the others were back to normal too. But to Evie, it was just weird. She had like a blockage, it was like something was holding her from being herself with them. She just couldn't. She had to put distance. Evie never initiated a conversation with them or participated to one until they included her (and when they do she answered shortly). And when she had the occasion, she would be anywhere but with them.

So here she was, at the cliff at La Push beach. Her eyes were closed and she was inhaling the fresh air of the sea. It always calmed her down. Evie needed to think about anything but the pack and the supernatural world. And the best way to do this was cliff diving. The adrenaline rushing in her veins, the air brushing against her face, the boost of energy in her every cell. It felt good and made her mind go blank. So, Evie took off her tank top - she only used tank tops now otherwise she would be too hot due to her high body temperature - her shorts and shoes. She took a deep breath, feeling the cold air on her body and then dive into the sea. Under the water, she looked around. It was like she had entered another world. Everything was blue and the atmosphere mystical. It was like everything had slow down. It was like Evie was floating like she had no weight at all. She then came back to the surface, gasping for air. She lied on her back, facing the sky, floating at the surface of the water. Evie looked at the clouds moving as her body was slowly moving by the waves. She felt at ease. The sounds of the waves, the feeling of the water on her skin, the fresh breeze and the white clouds. It was so soothing and calming. All the weight on her heart was lifted. It was like she had no problems. But as she was looking at the sky, she saw a silhouette that arrived on the cliff. It looked down at her. It was Jacob. Evie frowned and straightened up. What was he doing here? She then swam to the bay and went back to the cliff. There, she took the towel that she had brought and dried herself.

"What are you doing here?" Evie asked quite coldly as she dried her hair. It was just her neutral self. She never really show feelings when she was around the pack and the council.

"It's a public place," Jacob answered. Evie stopped herself from rolling her eyes.

"It's not like you're used to coming here. Was just wondering," a small silence took place. Jacob was eying Evie from time to time. He couldn't help but think that she was really beautiful. She always had been though. And her soaked hair sticking on her face made her more attractive. But he quickly went back to reality and looked back at the see. Last time he came here was to save Bella from drowning. He didn't like that Evie was cliff diving. After what happened to Bella, he was scared that it could happen to Evie.