21. Sunflower

"Nate," I breathed.

He barely acknowledged me, turned around, and walked towards the locker room. I ignored the pang of hurt that I felt and trying to force myself to stand up. I saw Oliver coming running towards me in panic.

"Zoe, are you alright? Nate told me what happened, and sent me here immediately. I'm so sorry. I should have come with you," Oli ranted guiltily.

"To the washroom?" I quizzically asked. "It's okay, Oli. Nate...he saved me," I breathed out, barely registering it in my mind.

"I know. Let' get back. The others must be getting worried," Oli replied, putting an arm around my shoulder and kissing my forehead.

"Guys, hurry up. The game's starting," Izzie waved her hands, spotting us when we walked in.

"Oli, don't tell her about what happened. It will only upset her," I grabbed his arm before we were in an earshot distance.

"Don't worry, Z. You're secret's safe with me," he smiled and led me to our friends.

There were two empty seats, I took the one between Izzie and Lily, while Oli took the one beside Chace on one end. June was sitting on the other end, next to Izzie.

As soon as I sat down, I could feel Izzie, Lily, and June's eyes boring into my head. Oli passed me my salted caramel popcorn, while all three of them were still staring at me.

"What?" I asked them, shoving a handful of popcorn into my mouth.

I saw the girls giving each other a look, before June blurt out, "Is there something going on with you and Oliver?"

I choked on my popcorn and started having a coughing fit. Izzie was awkwardly patting me on the back. Oli and Chace looked up from their conversation and had a worried look on their face.

"I'm fine. Food went in the wrong way," I said, glaring at June.

"What is wrong with you? Why would you ask me that?" I asked angrily, once the boys turned their attention away from us.

I saw June gulp and nudge Izzie, who gave a desperate look to Lily.

"One of you. Spit it out." I demanded in a low voice.

"Fine! It's just. He seems to really like you, and it looks that way, so we were just wondering if there was something," Izzie blurt it out, with a nervous shrug.

"Guys, the game is starting. We'll talk about this later," Lily said, with a pointed look.

"Gee. Can't wait," I mumbled sarcastically, which earned me a whack on the head.

I turned my attention to the field and saw the players entering the ground. Zach, followed by Eli, the other players, and Nate in the end. The opponent team lined up in front of them, both the captains ready for a coin toss. Our team won the toss, and the referee blew his whistle, indicating the start of the game.

Almost halfway in, we were leading, 32-12, despite the other team's cheap tactics and numerous fouls. Just then, an opponent player blocked Nate's way and tripped him. Zach immediately rushed to his side and calmed him down. The referee gave the rival team player a yellow card, while our team was given a penalty shot, that Eli took and scored.

With about 1 minute left on the clock, and the score now up to 41-18, it was pretty obvious that the other team didn't stand a chance. The ball was with Zach, who passed it to Nate, who scored the final touchdown.

"WE WON!!" All of us started jumping up and down, too excited.

"Come on, let's go to the ground," Chace told us all and led us there.

Just as the game was over, the player who had tripped him earlier, came close to Nate and whispered something in his ears. Before Nate could react, the opponent threw a punch at him. That was a wrong move, because the next second, Nate was on top of him, punching the crap out of him. Zach and Eli pulled him off the guy, held him back, and said something to calm him down. His eyes darted to the seats and landed on me.

His intense gaze locked with mine. I couldn't think about anything or anyone else. I took in his appearance. His hair was messy from the helmet, his eyes were tired, and his jaw had a bruise from being punched. He was perfect, and I was lucky to have been loved by him. At that moment, we existed. Every moment we spent together was flashing in my eyes. He was the guy I wanted my forever with. Every day I spent away from him was nothing short of torture. We would have had it if it hadn't been for Damian.

Damian.

His face, his message, Cole, everything was now replacing my thoughts of Nate and me. I loved him, more than anything, and that is why I can't be selfish with him. If Damian finds him, I shudder to think of what could happen. I can't let that happen.

Tearing my eyes away from him, I tap Lily on the shoulder. "I need some fresh air, you guys should carry on. I'll see you outside."

"Zoe, you're coming for the victory party, right? It's at the house," Chace asked, while the others were looking at me expectantly, hoping for a yes.

"You know what, ya. I'm in. I'll wait for you guys outside," I saw a feeling of relief and excitement flood through all their faces.

"Zoe, hold up. I'll come with you," Izzie stopped me.

"Go meet your boyfriend, Isabella. I'll be fine," I rolled my eyes and nudged her in the other direction.

I sighed and went outside. Can this day get any worse?

"Do you mind the company?" A familiar voice called from behind me.

"Hey, Oli. Not at all," I replied without turning back.

He stood next to me, and I leaned my head against his shoulder.

"Are you okay? You know with everything that happened before the game, followed by Nate getting in a fight, and you running outside," he spoke, after a few minutes of silence.

"I'm okay. I will be," I replied, almost like I was trying to convince myself.

"You'll be okay. You're strong."

"Sorry, am I interrupting something?" An angry voice broke us apart.

I jumped away from Oli like I had been burnt. I looked up to find a very ticked off Nate staring at us.

"Hey, man. Good game," Oli gave him bro-hug, Nate's eyes not leaving mine.

"I needed a ride home, but it looks like you're busy," he replied pointedly, peeling his eyes off me.

"Ya, it's just Zoey and me, so you can join us," Oli replied, ignoring Nate's glares.

"Hey babe," A familiar-looking redhead walked towards us and planted a kiss on Nate's lips.

If it wasn't for Oliver's hand around my shoulder, holding me in place, I would have fallen. My hand made its way to his waist, clutching on his shirt. My heart was breaking in front of me, and I couldn't do anything about it, because I was the one who caused it. I deserved this because I pushed him away with the intent to break his heart. I brought this on myself. After all, isn't this what I had wanted? For him to move on?

"You guys know Coral, my girlfriend," Nate informed us, with a sneer in his voice, directed at me.