CHAPTER 2

Kritika's look for the day👆

I woke up the next morning and realized that it was 6.30. I usually hate getting up early, but I knew I had to make breakfast for everyone today, else they would taunt me again about my manners. I looked through the three pairs of clothes I had before picking one of them. I quickly got dressed and headed to the kitchen. I saw Siddarth's mom standing there. 

'Oh good, at least your parents have taught you something. I thought I would have to make the breakfast today since I believed that you would get up as you please. But what have you worn, oh god, seriously' she said. She told me everyone's preferences before walking out of the kitchen. Finally, I was left alone to cook. I never had any problems with cooking, instead I actually loved it. I made aloo parathas and sandwiches for everyone.  Then I also made some cheese toasts for Siddarth's brother's children. Then I made some kheer for all the elders and some brownies for the children. I set everything on the table with the help of one of the maids. Just then Siddarth's parents and grandparents came down. They sat on the table, and before I could serve his grandmother stopped me. 

'How can you be so mannerless, have your parents not taught you anything. First, your sister ran away, and now you're dressed up like this on the first morning after your wedding' she said angrily. 

'With all due respect ma'am, my parents have never taught us to do what di did, and I didn't have any clothes due to the circumstances we got married in. And also, ma'am, you can say anything to me but don't bring my parents in this' I said firmly.               

Siddarth's POV

I woke up and quickly got dressed. I made way downstairs and heard Kritika and my granny's voice. I stood at one corner and listened to the conflict. 

'How can you be so mannerless, have your parents not taught you anything. First, your sister ran away, and now you're dressed up like this on the first morning after your wedding' granny said angrily.

'With all due respect ma'am, my parents have never taught us to do what di did, and I didn't have any clothes due to the circumstances we got married in. And also, ma'am, you can say anything to me but don't bring my parents in this' Kritika said firmly. I was angry that she was back answering granny, but before I could say anything, I saw granny go closer to her and slap her. 

Kritika looked sad, angry and broken. Granny was right about what she said but she shouldn't have slapped Kritika. Before I could step in, Kritika said something that left all of us stunned. 

'Ma'am you can remove all your anger on me. I know you felt humiliated by what di did, but it was not my fault. I was a victim of this situation, just as much as you if not more. My life took a complete 180 degree turn. I am 18 and married to a man I don't even know. I just finished giving my board exams just 2 weeks back. I didn't want to get married until I turned at least 25, but I did, to save both, yours and my parents reputation. Lastly, before calling me mannerless and blaming my parents, you should have known something. I didn't have even a pair of clothes. All of you were giving me a cold shoulder and didn't even think of what I would sleep in. I had to call my best friends to get me a few of my spare clothes from my place without my parents knowing, 'cause I don't want them to worry about me. They are both guys, so obviously they didn't know what to get, so I had no choice but to wear this. I kept quiet the whole day yesterday despite the taunts, but now, I am done. Thank you for letting me spend the night here, I won't show you my face ever again so that you don't need to live with a mannerless girl in your house. Bye everyone' she said angrily, pouring out all her frustrations before storming out of the house.

 I looked at all my family members who now had guilty looks on their face. Mom and bhabhi had tears in their eyes while granny just sat on a chair staring at the ceiling. The silence in the house was broken when Rahul and Rohan, my nephews, came running down the stairs. They ran to the table saying that they were hungry and everything smelled amazing. They looked happily at all the dishes on the table. 

'Who made so much yummy food. I want to give a kissy to that person' Rohan said in his childish voice. I looked at bhabhi since she is the one that usually makes all the things that were on the table. 

'I didn't make it' bhabhi said.

'Kritika did' mom said. Both of them started munching happily. 

'This is so yummy, the best food. The brownie is so soft and chocolatey' Rahul said licking his lips, and his twin copied his action. 

'She will come back in a few hours, right?' mom asked unsure of what would happen. 

'Yes, she will. Where else will she go' granny replied, she sounded as though she was reassuring herself. Everyone sat and ate the breakfast Kritika had prepared. I must say, it was the best food I ever had. Everyone else also loved the food, since all of us ate almost double. 

After breakfast, my thoughts went back to Kritika. She was right, she was a victim in this situation too, but all of us treated her as the culprit. Where would she have gone? Maybe with her best friends? But wherever she is, just keep her safe, I thought subconsciously. 

Why am I even thinking about her, I scolded myself. I shook of the thoughts and tried working but I couldn't. Why was I worried? 

Maybe because she is barely and adult and now she is ideolly my responsibility. Ya, that's the only reason, I told myself. She will come back soon, she doesn't have anywhere else to go. I know she won't go to her parents house since she doesn't want them to worry. She may go to her best friends house. No, she won't do that. Will she?

HEY GUYS! I HOPE YOU LIKED IT , IF YOU DID PLEASE VOTE✨ , COMMENT AND SHARE