Chapter 8- The old ladies inn (part 1)

When the three arrived at Willow City two days after, the news that the famous Qin Clan coveted the Devil ran throughout the Wolf bane continent. It was said that the head of the clan was blinded by power and went to learn the dark arts as well. Several mouths added fuel to the fire by saying that the Qin Clan wasn't a very clean clan in the beginning, that the moment the last of the original family died, the branch family were overjoyed and took over. Some people were doubtful of the news, but they were few.

Then, news that the four great clans had decided to clean the Qin Clan of its evil doing made people think that the Qin Clan was indeed of the devil and should be 'cleaned'.

Wei Xiao was still feeling under the weather. He found the rumours painful. He knew that his family was pure and has never done anything evil of some sorts. But people believe that where there's smoke there's fire. And because the Qin Clan has been at the top of the people, they felt frightened and wanted to chase away the things that made them feel that way.

The three found an inn which was not bad nor was it too extravagant. This was because Qin Zuijia was afraid of spending the money that was given to him. In fact, at first he chose the cheapest inn to stay; the floors creaked with just a single step, the wall leaked, and the whole place smelled like something had died in there. In short, the inn looks more like a haunted house than a place to sleep. Xiao Ling was the first to decline.

The next inn they visited was the second cheapest inn. If it wasn't for the sign, they would think that the inn was a brothel. The whole place was covered in intoxicatingly disgusting perfume. Women with chest as big as watermelons serve the guest and basically only single dogs would come there. Wei Xiao declined.

Then, they went to the third cheapest inn. The inn takes in mostly mothers and children. The whole place was warm and kind. The workers were old ladies with experience in taking care of children and pregnant women. On top of that their dishes were delicious to the point of wanting more and more food, even Qin Zuijia who doesn't eat much wanted to gobble up the entire plate.

So the three tactfully chose this inn which wasn't that bad and too extravagant.

They rang the bell to call in the boss to reserve a room. The owner was an old woman about seventy years old. She was beaming with old age but that doesn't stop her from working. She had a smile on her face that made children feel at ease. Xiao Ling likes her kind smile and wanted to give her a hug.

Sensing the boy's intention, the owner opened her arms and hugged Xiao Ling. "Aiya! This little man is so handsome, is he your child, young lord?" The owner asked.

Qin Zuijia smiled awkwardly and said. "He's our nephew, the son of his brother." He pointed at Wei Xiao.

The owner looked at Wei Xiao and back at Qin Zuijia. And as if enlightened, she giggled. "Of course, of course. Don't worry, young lords, we here don't discriminate."

Both Wei Xiao and Qin Zuijia were confused with what the owner was not discriminating about. 'are people here disgusted with uncles and nephews?'

Though they were confused, they still nodded and smiled.

The owner laughed heartily, giving them a key to a room. She beckoned on the other old lady to show them their room.

Once the three went in the room, they couldn't keep themselves from asking.

"Why just one room?" Wei Xiao asked.

"They probably don't have anymore." Qin Zuijia replied. "They didn't even ask us how many rooms we needed."

Wei Xiao looked at the bed that could only fit one person. right next to it was a crib. The crib wouldn't be able to fit a two-year-old-baby-that-looks-like-dumpling. The three had to squeeze in a single bed.

"How about I sleep on the floor?" Qin Zuijia asked. "This way, you'll be able to sleep with Xiao Ling in bed."

Seeing as the other was refusing to agree, he added another sentence. "Then you could sleep on the floor tomorrow and I would sleep in the bed with Xiao Ling?"

Wei Xiao flatly refused, "You sleep in the bed, I'll keep watch."

"How about I keep watch inste-" Before he finished speaking, Wei Xiao interrupted.

"I'm keeping a watch on you. Don't think that I'm keeping a watch on a sudden intruder." His voice was cold like ice, but they were a bit shaky.

Qin Zuijia didn't notice the shakiness of his voice, and focused on what he said. It does sound more logical to keep a watch on himself than others, I mean, He is the villain that people feared. Thus he threw everything to the back of his head.

Qin Zuijia didn't know how he should reply to Wei Xiao. He scratched his head turning left to right, and sighing. He cleared his throat and laughed.

Xiao Ling ran towards the bed. He patted the dust away and looked at his uncle. "Uncle will keep watch. " He pointed at Wei Xiao, then turned to Qin Zuijia. "Pretty Uncle will sleep with Xiao Ling!" He pointed at Qin Zuijia.

Qin Zuijia didn't know whether to laugh or cry in front of the little baby that has declared his intentions. He looked at Wei Xiao and cleared his throat. "Then we'll do just that."

Wei Xiao nodded and proceeded to meditate in a corner.

Qin Zuijia walked towards Xiao Ling. "Little Ling, I'll be bothering you to sleep with me tonight."

Xiao Ling smiled. "Pretty uncle can always sleep with me."

Qin Zuijia rubbed the boy's head and nodded.

_______________

At twilight, the one of the elder ladies that work in the inn came knocking at the door.

"Young masters, I've brought you dinner." She said. Her voice doesn't sound too old, but the shakiness and hoarseness can still be heard.

Qin Zuijia was sitting at the bed, stroking Xiao Ling's cheeks. He looked at Wei Xiao, Who was still meditating, and stood to open the door.

"Hello, We've troubled you." He said apologetically.

The old woman laughed. "Nonsense! This old lady can still do hard labor!" She said exaggeratedly, raising her chin which was already saggy and loose.

Qin Zuijia laughed and took the tray from the woman. "Thank you."

The lady patted his shoulders. "Nothing this olde woman can't do. This young master is such a beauty, how can I be troubled."

Qin Zuijia laughed

When the lady went back, he closed the doors.

Qin Zuijia examined the food in the tray. There were three servings of vegetables each and three bowls of meat. He couldn't figure out what kind of meat was in the bowl since it was sliced in cubes. For him, eating cows meat was rather disgusting. He was fine eating pig and chicken, but beef was over the line. His eyes fixed on the bowl with his portion of meat as if trying to find any type of information that would help him deduce whether it was something he can eat or not.

He chose to eat the vegetables instead and leave all the meat to the gluttons who he came in with.

When Xiao Ling smelled the food, he immediately stood up and looked at the tray longingly.

Qin Zuijia gave the child his portion of meat. He turns to Wei Xiao, who now has his eyes open, raising his brows as if questioning him.

Qin Zuijia, of course, understood what the other was implying. "I don't have the same appetite as you, I could just give my portion to him."

Wei Xiao nodded. "Next time don't let him eat too much." He stopped for a moment before adding. "Give the rest to me if you can't eat it, don't give it to Xiao Ling, he's already too fat."

In the end he just wanted to eat more to satisfy his hunger.