Chapter 14- The screaming children (Part 1)

In the middle of the night, when the moon is at its peak, the sound of screaming and crying children rang all throughout the city once more.

Wei Xiao opened his eyes, unable to ignore the screaming outside. He remembered that the boy had given them earplugs and found the use for such an object.

He stood up and rummaged through the pouch and found the earplugs. He turn his gaze towards Qin Zuijia who was sound asleep.

Feeling tired as well, Wei Xiao returned to the bed and placed the earplugs in.

_____________

The next morning, Wei Xiao got up and woke Qin Zuijia up. Xiao Ling was hugging Qin Zuijia while he slept thus he was shaken up as well.

Both Qin Zuijia and Xiao Ling slept soundly, but Wei Xiao was awoken by the screaming. His eyes were swollen red, and his brows were knitted tight. Since he didn't get a proper sleep, his mood was exceptionally bad.

Qin Zuijia opened his eyes and saw the horrible expression that says 'I'm going to kill you' but refused to be awoken. He hugged the baby in his arms and proceeded to fall asleep.

Wei Xiao gripped Qin Zuijia's lapels and head-butted the other. His mood was bad today, yet this man didn't comfort him and had the guts to ignore him. He wanted Qin Zuijia to suffer as well.

Qin Zuijia was awoken by the headbutt, feeling the pain on his head and the killing intent on his throat. He looked at the man in front of him who was both fuming and was ice cold. He felt his hair stood up and had the urge to run away. He smiled stiffly at the other. Opening his mouth, but no words came out.

"The Screaming Children." Wei Xiao Spatted out three words.

Qin Zuijia's face immediately changed. He thought that the matter regarding the screaming children would be over since they've dealt with the old women, but Wei Xiao informed him that the matter has yet to be solved.

"Wh- Why?" Qin Zuijia gripped Wei Xiao's hand and freed his collars from the grip.

"I don't know as well." Wei Xiao replied. He knew that Qin Zuijia didn't notice a thing last night and was not at fault, but he still felt angry for no reason. He gritted his teeth, trying to alleviate his anger.

"Should we go and see?" Qin Zuijia looked at the other. He saw that Wei Xiao's eyes were a bit puffy and he looked like he was about to kill someone. He couldn't help but rubbed the other's hair to appease him. He then held the other's cheeks and caressed them.

Wei Xiao felt less angry, but was still agitated.

He felt as if something was scratching his chest, forcing him to endure. It was unbearable at first, but when Qin Zuijia placate him, his chest felt lighter, but it still hurt.

"You go to bed first." Qin Zuijia told him while poking the other's cheeks. "I'll deal with this." He smiled.

"You can't!" Wei Xiao's voice shook, but was unaware of the changes. "Don't forget that you're still considered as a prisoner.

Qin Zuijia laughs. "I know." He rubbed the other's hair. "But you're tired, We can't have you running around."

"You stay here as well." Wei Xiao said, Not as a request, but more of a command. He felt more agitated when the other was planning on leaving him. He didn't understand why he hates to see the other leave. When he thought that Qin Zuijia might run away if he left him, he felt both angry and aggrieved, and as if he was wronged. He knew something was wrong, but he couldn't find anything that would cause it.

Qin Zuijia looked at Wei Xiao and felt that the other looked a bit cute. He laughed a bit softly and sat back down. "Okay, I'll stay. You go to sleep."

Wei Xiao now felt relief. He returned to his bed and shut his eyes. But later he realized a problem...He couldn't fall asleep.

Qin Zuijia was watching him while caressing Xiao Ling's cheeks. He saw that the other opened his eyes and furrowed his brows. "What's wrong?"

Wei Xiao didn't reply.

"Can you not sleep?" Qin Zuijia asked.

Wei Xiao didn't reply, but his clenched teeth said yes.

"Do you need something?" Qin Zuijia stood up and walked towards Wei Xiao.

Wei Xiao shook his head, but his brows were knitted. "I can't feel comfortable no matter what I do."

Qin Zuijia puts his hand on Wei Xiao's forehead.

Wei Xiao felt Qin Zuijia's cold hands on his forehead and the agitation in his mind suddenly vanished. He enjoyed the feeling of the cold hand and felt drowsy afterwards.

Qin Zuijia retracted his hand and smiled at Wei Xiao. "You don't have a fever. That's good."

Wei Xiao, again, felt agitated.

"I'll look for something to eat, so you can fill your stomach. See if that helps." Qin Zuijia said.

"No!" Wei Xiao shouted. "You stay!"

Qin Zuijia was shocked. He felt that Wei Xiao was acting more and more like a child. It was cute, but he can't figure out why Wei Xiao looked so agitated. It's not like he's going to run away.

"Sleep. With. me." Wei Xiao uttered those words, his voice fading. His face shows more and more agitation. His eyes looked as if he was about to cry.

Qin Zuijia was at a loss on what to do. Two men sleeping on the same bed is a bit crammed. He doesn't want the other to feel uncomfortable, but he doesn't do so, the other will feel more uncomfortable.

Qin Zuijia sighed. He smiled at Wei Xiao and nodded his head. "I'll sleep with you." He patted Wei Xiao in the head. "If you feel crowded, just tell me. Okay?"

Wei Xiao nodded and went back to sleep.

______________

When Wei Xiao opened his eyes again, he found Qin Zuijia and Xiao Ling wrapped around his body. Xiao Ling was wrapped around him like an octopus, while Qin Zuijia had one arm around Xiao Ling.

Wei Xiao patted Xiao Ling awake, and looked at him with an expressionless gaze.

Xiao Ling smiled from ear to ear. "Uncle sleeps with Xiao Ling."

Wei Xiao nodded. "Uncle sleeps with Xiao Ling."

"Uncle hug pretty uncle in sleep." Xiao Ling said. "Pretty uncle called Xiao Ling to sleep with uncle so pretty uncle can sleep with Xiao Ling!"

Wei Xiao furrowed his brow and looked down. He thought that it was weird how these two people got into his bed, now it seems like something happened that he can't remember.

The last thing he remembered was waking up to the sound of the screaming children, when he woke up, both Qin Zuijia and Xiao Ling was already in his bed.

"How did pretty Uncle get on Uncle's bed?" Wei Xiao asked.

"Uncle asked Pretty Uncle to sleep with him!" Xiao Ling said. "Uncle would cry if Pretty Uncle left and would not let Pretty Uncle sleep in another bed!" Xiao Ling sounded aggrieved. He pouted his lips and kneaded his hands.

Wei Xiao was even more confused and afraid of the truth that was slammed to his face. How could he cry and ask someone to sleep with him. How could he be mad that the other would not sleep on the same bed as him. But thinking about it, he found that it was logical. He had done this when he was younger to his mother brother.

At this time, Qin Zuijia opened his eyes and saw Wei Xiao looking at him with a complicated gaze. He laughed and sat up. "Do you feel better?"

Wei Xiao nodded. He sat up as well and faced the other. "About earlier...I."

Qin Zuijia raised his brows and smiled. "If you can't sleep, you can always ask me to accompany you."

Wei Xiao felt complicated. He looked at the other meaningfully. "About what happened earlier." He bit his lip and tried to compose himself. "I don't seem to remember what happened."