1. draco's trial

I squint against the bright lights in the Atrium. 8 in the morning is a bit too early to start a Wizengamot trial, in my opinion, but there's nothing I can do about it. I watch Kingsley's back as he leads me into the courtroom. It's the second time this week I've been here; I'd testified at Narcissa's trial two days ago.

But today is more important.

Today is Draco's trial.

Was it only two months ago when he held my hand at Easter, told me to wait while he identified the prisoners? Was it only two months ago that I was prepared to spend my life with him?

I had to hold it together. I did well at Narcissa's trial; she'd been released, and I want Draco to share the same fate.

The doors are behind me now, and I take a deep breath as I walk to the special seats separated from reporters, meant for witnesses. As I sit, Kingsley leans down and whispers in my ear.

"Don't push it, Liz. Say what you need to, no more," he says.

"I know."

I hear him chuckle.

"Same as two days ago. They've all been informed on how you've obtained your information and they'll be no other witnesses to your testimony besides the Wizengamot. Everyone will be asked to leave while you testify."

I take a deep breath and nod. "Thank you," I mumble.

I head to the seats and sit down. I stare ahead, at an empty point in space, until I calm myself down. I run through the thought points in my head; Draco didn't want to serve the Dark Lord. He risked his life for mine and his mother's. He broke down after he saw other torture prisoners, and wasn't able to cast an unforgivable himself. He never wanted to be a death eater; he just wanted to protect those he loved. He protected my secret. He-

And there he was. Out of the corner of my eye, I see two Aurors lift an iron cage from the center of the floor with their wands. My head snaps over and I see him; blonde hair in need of a trim, sunken in cheeks, stormy grey eyes, searching around the room until they lock on mine.

I look away fast. I have to distance myself from him; now that I know he isn't the one, staying close and holding off coming clean will only hurt him more. I take I deep breath and meet his gaze again.

It will be okay, I mouth to him.

I love you, he mouths back.

I try to stop my eyes from filling with tears. My revelation will hurt Draco, which I don't want to do; he's one of my best friends. I blink a couple of times and send a weak smile back. I see his eyebrows shoot up, confused by my lack of response, but Kingsley's loud voice fills the room, and his attention shifts.

"We bring to the stand Draco Lucius Malfoy, accused of bearing-"

I fold my hands in my lap neatly and look ahead, pretending to listen to the prosecution. I zone back in a few minutes later when Draco's lawyer calls up their first witness.

And who would it be, besides Harry Potter?

Why is he even here? He doesn't know Draco. Why defend someone you've hated for years?

I watch as Harry Potter defends Draco and purse my lips when Hermione Granger follows. They describe what happened at Malfoy Manor back during Easter weekend and explain how it was clear he didn't want to join Voldemort.

I remember Easter weekend clear as day; the yells from the ballroom, the glee in Bellatrix's cackle as she cut up Hermione Granger's arm, the smell of dark magic, the tremble in Draco's voice as he tried to convince his family that he couldn't be sure it was Potter. I remember his screams after they escaped; after Bellatrix realized he'd been stalling. They could haunt my dreams.

The Wizengamot calling for a recess jolts me out of my daydream. I know what's coming next, so I take a deep breath. As everyone leaves the room, I catch Harry Potter's eye. My heart quickens, and I look away fast, trying to find Kingsley. 

After a minute, the doors close and I walk towards the witness chair, all alone. Just me, the Wizengamot, and Draco.