Chapter 17

Welcome to the bottom of hellThey say pain is a prison, let me out of my cellYou say you proud of me, but you don't know me that wellSit in my room, tears running down my face and I yellInto my pillowcases, you say you coming to get usThen call 'e...

They say pain is a prison, let me out of my cell
You say you proud of me, but you don't know me that well
Sit in my room, tears running down my face and I yell
Into my pillowcases, you say you coming to get us
Then call 'em a minute later just to tell us you not, I'm humiliated
I'm in a room with a parent that I don't barely know
Some lady in the corner watching us, while she taking notes

HOW COULD YOU LEAVE US? - NF

♠️♠️♠️

A L T H E A

My sleep was disturbed by a low, yet deep mumbling. I opened my eyes and looked around. It was still dark out.

I looked up to see if Evander was still awake but what I saw made me scream.

Evander's blue eyes were glowing and fangs were hanging out of his mouth. He seemed to be mumbling something but I couldn't understand what he was saying.

"What the fuck?!" I gasped. Any tiny ounce of sleep I once had was gone as I desperately searched for something to use as a weapon.

I found a broken tree branch and lifted it up.

"Evander?" I called.

His eyes snapped shut and his fangs shrank as I jumped back. He opened his eyes again and looked at me in horror.

"Althea?! What are you doing with that?!" He asked incredulously

He must not know what his body was doing wherever he was. I ignored it.

"What the fuck are you?!" I questioned.

His face dropped and he gulped, "W-What do you mean?" He stuttered, trying to standing up.

"Stay right where you are or all swing, you hear me?!" I threatened stepping back.

He stood still looking defeated, as if I'd betrayed him.

"Don't act dumb Evanander. Your eyes were glowing and you— you had fangs! That's not normal so—What are you?!" I asked more firmly, "I'm not stupid, tell me!"

He sighed, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you—"

"Try me." I snapped back, "You've been acting weird ever since I met you! I don't know you that well but I want some answers."

"I'm a werewolf." He answered seriously.

"What?!" I asked, faltering, "I expected you to say something like 'I'm in the Illuminati', not that you're a freaking werewolf!" I yelled.

"Keep your voice down! It's true I'm a werewolf. Part zoí, part wolf. Not half, both my parents are werewolves too. "

(Human/living)

"Zoí? Why do you say—"

"It's the word we use to refer to the living. Everything that lives and breaths is a zoí. You're a zoí."

(Human/living)

"This explains why you know the woods so well and how you managed to dodge those bullets from earlier..." I muttered in realisation. I dropped the branch.

He nodded, "I'm so sorry for not telling you. If anyone from the pack knew, I'd be exiled, but things are different now, it doesn't matter..." he explained.

"What's different?" I asked.

"Don't worry about it..." he looked up to the sky, "It's almost morning, if you're not tired we can keep going..."

"How do you even know— oh another werewolf thing huh?" I remembered, "Okay let's go then..."

He nodded and we continued off in whatever direction.

About half an hour of walking, Evander spoke, "Thank you for not freaking out earlier..."

"Oh please! I was freaking out. I thought you were possessed and were going to eat me or something! I just didn't let you see how freaked out I really was." I answered smugly.

He laughed, "I wouldn't eat you! I said I'd protect you remember! Plus werewolves eat the same foods as zoí..."

"Oh cool. So do you turn into an actual wolf?" I asked now interested in the 'Ways of the Wolf'.

"I can do. It's extremely exhausting though. We usually do a half transformation, similar to what you saw, only my ears also elongate and I get more... hairy?"

I nodded trying to keep in my laughter. Hairy Evander; how funny!

"I wasn't actually going to hit you with that branch by the way..."

♠️♠️♠️