My letter (p1)

On a usual morning I walked into the kitchen I saw mum sitting at the table having her cup of coffee and reading the daily prophet. Dad was already at work at the ministry. I was happy dad had gotten the job at the ministry but I never got to see him anymore which made our relationship weird.

"Good Morning honey." I heard my mum from behind the newspaper. 

"Hi mum, anything new," I asked her gesturing at the newspaper.

"Not really, same as always," she replied

I nodded and continued eating breakfast, I looked out the window and saw Finx, dad's owl, approaching holding a letter in his beak. This wasn't unusual since dad always sent letters home to tell us about work but any letters coming through recently were particularly exciting.

Ever since I can remember mom and dad had always told me about Hogwarts and their experiences studying there. As the y/l/n family, we were never particularly rich or poor and my parents always taught me to be humble and treat others with respect no matter their bloodline or wealth. 

They had made their life long friends there and they had also met each other there. As muggles would say, they were high school sweethearts. My parents had a very close relationship with a lot of wizards and witches from their time at Hogwarts so I was already acquainted with a couple of kids that were supposed to be going into their first year at Hogwarts this September.

As Finx landed on the window, I grabbed the letter from his beak and was ecstatic to find that the letter was addressed to me and I quickly recognized the Hogwarts shield stamped on the envelope. I let out an excited squeal while I rushed to open the letter which alerted my mom to the situation. I pulled the parchment out from inside the letter and skimmed it through, I jumped with excitement at what I'd read as my mom took the letter from my hand before mimicking my actions too.

"Honey, I'm so proud of you!" she almost screamed out of excitement. 

I hugged her and as I pulled out my smile faded a little. 

"Do you think dad knows?" I asked calmly knowing he probably did as his owl was used for the delivery of the letter.

"I'm not sure y/n, why don't you try sending a letter to him at work?" she replied

I nodded putting on a forced smile, I grabbed some parchment and quill and began writing a short letter to dad letting him know about my Hogwarts acceptance letter and how happy I was. I rolled the parchment and tied it to Finx's foot and he flew away.

**time skip**

I was with mom at Diagon Alley getting my things for school. We had everything, and the last thing we needed was my wand, we walked to Ollivander's, and standing outside we saw a tall broad man holding a pink umbrella.

"Hagrid?" Mom said loudly.

"y/m/n! Merlins bear how ar you?" he said in a thick accent.

"Good, it's been so long, glad to know you're alright. What brings you here?" Mom asked in a kind tone.

" I'm ere on Dumbledores orders, wai ing for a kid thas in ther ," he said pointing into the store. He then turned to me and said: "and you must be y/n, you coming to Hogwarts this September as well?"

I smiled and nodded

"Well we were just about to go buy y/n a wand, it was good to see you Hagrid, you must come to the house one day and see y/f/n." Mom said in a genuine tone.

"I wud love to y/m/n but I can't leave Hogwarts grounds less Dumbledore tells me. But I do hope we see each other again." He said as he opened the door for us to the store.

Mom nodded and we walked in, as we entered we both felt a gush of wind and we saw Ollivander mutter something to the boy standing by the counter. He then turned and bumped into me causing me to drop some books I was carrying.

"oh, I'm sorry," I said embarrassed bending down to pick up my books.

"No please, it was my fault," he said as he too bent down to help me pick up my books.

As he gave me my books, I looked at him and soon realized who it was as I took a quick glance at the scar on his forehead. It was clear to me mom too had realized who it was as she looked as though she had just seen a ghost.

I coughed to alert my mom to her actions, then I extended my hand "I'm y/n"

"Hi, I'm Harry," he introduced himself. 

I smiled kindly back at him but before I could say anything else mom had gently shoved me aside and was now facing Harry.

"I'm y/m/n, her mother. Harry, I was a close friend of your parents. It's a pleasure to meet you." My mother said with tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

"Its a pleasure, wait you knew my parents?" Harry asked curiously.

But before my mother could reply Ollivanders appeared from behind the counter and was ready to attend us.

"well see you at school Harry," I said as I grabbed my mom's arm and pulled her towards the counter.

He nodded with a half-hearted smile. I turned confused to look at my mom who still had a shocked expression in her eye wondering why she had reacted the way she did.

**time skip**

I was now standing in front of the Hogwarts express with my mom by my side. We still had time so I decided to walk to the front of the train to take a quick glance and as I was admiring the train I fell backward as I felt a trolley bump into my side. I rubbed my side as I got up.

"y/n! I'm so sorry I didn't see you there" I heard a panicked voice.

I looked up to see Harry beside a red-haired boy who I recognized from my parents' previous gatherings at the house. "It's alright Harry, but we should probably stop meeting like this, I'm starting to get bruised up," I laughed.

**time skip**

I waved goodbye to my mom from the compartment I was in with Harry and Ron. Just before I lost sight of my mom I saw my dad running next to her. It comforted me to know that he at least attempted to show up and say goodbye since I wasn't going to see them for 4 months.

I sat back down and turned to face Ron who was sitting awkwardly in front of me. He began telling Harry about his family and about his pet rat. After about an hour I got up and told the boys I was going to go stretch my legs.

 I was walking down the corridors and I saw a blonde-haired boy walking down the corridors as well. We made eye contact for a few seconds before he went inside one of the compartments. 

I continued walking down the corridor and as I looked into one of the compartments I saw Neville sitting in there with his pet toad in his hands.

"Neville! " I said excitedly.

"y/n!" he said in the same tone pulling me into a hug

"y/n I'm so glad you found me I'm so nervous and I-" but before he could finish he looked around and screamed "Trevor!" and ran out of the compartment.

I ran outside the corridor and walked back to Harry and Ron's compartment keeping a lookout for Trevor, as I was doing that I found a bushy-haired girl and quickly introduced myself before asking her if she had seen Neville's toad. She kindly offered to help me look for him. As we kept walking we arrived at Harry and Ron's compartment and as Hermione asked them about Trevor I sat back down next to Harry except for this time I was forced to push wrappers and sweet boxes aside. We chatted for a while and the rest of the train ride was quite silent.