6. Worldly Equations

Karachi's most exquisite and exclusive members-only club was a place famous for catering the needs of rest, peace, play and fine dining for it's Elite guests. Equipped with epitome of style and grandeur, it offered to placate the demands of extravaganza, which suited the refined tastes of its frequent clientele.

One of the most prominent figure among them being, Dr. Ghazala Abbasi, a well known Dermatologist in Country. As a routine, today too, she was hosting a Brunch to support her NGO; Sahara Foundation, which aimed to help acid attack victims and give them a chance to rejuvenate their lives.

"—oh! I am so looking forward to this Anniversary cruise trip! 25 years of togetherness—! If there's anything like a Match made in Heaven; it's you and Shahid." Mrs. Arshad gushed excitedly, while patting Ghazala's hand atop the table; who only smiled at her from over her glass.

Mrs. Adeel and Mrs. Junaid exchanged knowing glances from across the table with Mrs. Sheikh.

"—So true. After what happened 5 years ago and how you both handled it all—the trauma, people's questioning gaze and hateful remarks—Truly remarkable! Hardly possible for anyone to go through such a terrible misfortune and be able to go on with their lives—Honestly, no one knows how you guys do it. Unimaginable, really—" Mrs. Sheikh retorted sympathetically, raising a glass to Ghazala in support from opposite end; but it was impossible to not notice the scorn laced in her voice. Like most ladies part of this NGO, her most remarkable asset too, was being the wife of a business or political tycoon.

At her piercing words, the rest of 14 ladies sitting around the hall, stopped to listen with brimming excitement. Ghazala continued to watch her blankly for a moment, before a smile formed across her ever green features. She began slowly, after putting down her own glass.

"Thankyou. Your words mean so much. Why don't you drop by my Clinic sometime, Afshan? And bring along Rehan too. I have counselled countless kids like him, who failed to clear their MCAT. Although, from what I remember, the most extreme case was one who'd failed thrice—but, Rehan has been unsuccessful—what—? Fourth time this year?" Mrs. Sheikh gaped at her in disbelief, too stunned to be called out this blatantly in public. And no one besides Ghazala Abbasi could get away with a brutal attack such as this one, without any fear of accountability. However, she was far from done.

"Maybe, it's time to adopt a different career path, don't you think? Of course medical career isn't just anyone's cup of tea—I think you should sit this cruise out, too. What with Rehan and your arthritis—You've already got too much on your plate, Afshan—" Ghazala ended in a sweet voice and caught her turning away with a scoff.

Before Ghazala could relish in her victory, a message popped on Mrs. Furqan's phone and the table soon became abuzz with hushed whispers. Ghazala noticed the peculiar gazes directed towards herself and finally found out what the big deal was, when Mrs. Arshad showed to her videos of Ammar followed up with Hajra and Mateen's; which had already gone viral on the internet with captions of 'spoiled rich brats of Prestigious Medical University', 'shameful behaviour by son of famous Doctors' and so forth. Ghazala gawked this with blood draining from her face.

"Ghazala—Maybe ask your son to join us in that sitting too—" Her attention was interrupted by Afshan's comment but this time she couldn't retort with any comeback.

———————————

Mateen stood silently in his place with a bruised left cheek and bleeding lips. His presence long forgotten, while his mother and father barked and hurled insults at each other. He watched this matter of routine with lack of interest and with a sigh began to make way towards the staircase. He halted at the first step and looked back, just to check if either of them had noticed him leaving, but they both were too busy in blaming each other, to notice.