35. Happily Ever After (II)

It was still early morning when a loud sound of something heavy falling to the floor caused Hajra to wake up with a start. She sat up on the bed in a daze and for a moment couldn't understand where she was. That's when her gaze fell on the empty bedside and a soft smile surfaced on her lips.

Just yesterday morning she had landed in Newyork. The few months they had spent apart felt to both of them like eternities. Yet, when they finally met it felt like they had never been apart, even for a single moment. Everything was just the same as they left.

The realization caused her to exhale a satisfied sigh and stretching up her arms, she got up to freshen up.

She peeked her head out of the room and sneaked a glance into the open kitchen to find the whole kitchen turned upside down. Dirty dishes were stacked up in a pile inside the sink while others were scattered all around here and there. And in the midst of it all, Mateen stood there with his back turned to her; grumbling under his breath while staring at the saucepan in his hand.

For a moment, she stood in her place with an amused and adoring smile etched on her face. Following that she stifled her smile and discreetly padded upto him bare feet; catching him by surprise by engulfing him in a hug from behind.

"Good Morning." She murmured softly against his wide back; with the side of her head resting against his back whilst she closed her eyes and inhaled him in. Mateen felt a soft smile breaking against his features as he covered her hands with his.

"I woke you up." He admitted remorsefully but in an instant, a smile had formed across his face when he turned around in her embrace to find her looking up at him with a loving smile. Her eyes closing in a hum when he nudged his forehead against hers in adoration.

"What's cooking?

Hajra inquired excitedly while trying to sneak a peek behind him but he came to stand in front of the disaster he had havocked; trying to hide it from her in vain.

"uh—its Nothing!" Hajra frowned at him in lack of understanding when he began to turn her out of the kitchen.

"Why don't we go out for breakfast today?" His hands were pushing against her back to get her to leave, when Hajra abruptly halted in her steps.

"But you made breakfast."

Mateen opened his mouth to come up with an excuse when Hajra pulled herself free from his grip and began to make her way towards the kitchen once again.

"Everything looks delicious!" She exclaimed happily
while taking out plates to dish out the half burnt scrambled eggs, sausages, overdone pancakes, alongside freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee and bowl of sliced fruits.

"Come. Sit down." She turned over her shoulder to flash him a loving smile, who could do nothing but watch this with a growing sense of shame.

"Hajra. I am sorry. It became a huge mess. Let's just go out, okay?"

"Okay, we'll go for lunch. But can we eat this first? I am famished." She gleamed while putting out fresh toasts on the table for them. Mateen opened his mouth to argue but he noticed how quickly Hajra had tidied up the kitchen and had sat down to eat with him.

"This wasn't my idea of welcoming you." He interjected with a sigh, as he turned his eyes downcast towards his plate; a sad puppy eyed look on his face. That's when Hajra noticed the band aids wrapped on his multiple fingers and the ointment rubbed on his burnt hand.

The man born with a golden spoon his mouth and with multitudes of servants running around him to take care of his every single need was here cutting and burning himself, just to display his love for her. It took Hajra everything to control the urge to engulf him in a tight hug right then and there, only to never ever let go again. How could someone be so impossibly lovable? She thought tearing up and inched forward to put a spoon in his hand.