Chapter 60 - A Second Attempt at Snowball Assault

(Name)'s POV

We were back on the Tōtsuki train now, this time with our new company in tow. I supposed it was nice if not reassuring to have adults supervising us, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little intimidated by the former director.

One of these days he better drop his workout routine, I thought, envious of his muscles.

"Hey, Dad, are you seriously going to put Yukihira on the line?" Soma asked, hands on his hips.

"Yup."

"Seriously? First, you shut the place down, and now you're wagering it on a bet. Could you have some respect for the place?" We watched Soma lecture his father, a rare and interesting sight. Usually he was the one receiving the lecture.

"What? Don't tell me..." Joichiro brought a hand to his chin, then planted the other one atop Soma's head. "You don't actually think we're going to win? Wow, talk about pathetic! You sure you're my son?"

"Stop messing up my hair! Shut up! We're gonna win!" Soma snapped irritably. Seems he wasn't too fond of his father's habit.

"Are you laughing, (Name)-chan?" Megumi asked, and I realized she was right.

I only grinned wider at her observation. "It's funny to see Soma on the receiving end for once," I said, referring to the many times he messed up my hair. This was simply justice. Soma huffed, catching my comment, as he adjusted his spikes. Not to mention it's fun seeing him riled up. Usually he's so flippant.

"Sorry, this was the only leverage we had," Joichiro apologized, this time with a more genuine tone in lieu of his joking persona.

"I should also probably apologize for all of this as well." We looked up as a sixth person entered the car.

"Dojima-senpai...!" That's right, he was at the testing venue too.

He came to a stop in front of Soma, the rest of us still seated. "I was actually the one who arranged for Joichiro and Senzaemon-dono to be there today. We've been working in secret for some time now to come up with a strategy. Because we knew if Joichiro was involved, Azami would accept the challenge." The sharp-browed man slid into the booth across from me, Megumi, and Takumi. "I can't blame you if you think we've been using you."

My less-sharp brows shot up when he bowed his head to us first-years. "I sincerely apologize."

"There's no need to apologize." Takumi raised his hand in reassurance before bringing it to his chest. "On the contrary, if you or Saiba-san hadn't intervened, we wouldn't have been able to get this Shokugeki at all. We should actually be grateful."

When he looked up at Dojima again, it was with newfound determination. "Just watch. This will be our battle. We won't let the Azami Administration have their way!"

There was a pause after Takumi's declaration, so I backed him up before it could become awkward for the boy. "Takumi-kun's right. Y'all really saved our butts back there, haha!" I laughed casually, causing the others to sweat-drop. Oh, perhaps I shouldn't be saying 'butts' in front of all these adults. "I mean, uh, 'tushes'. Heh."

"I'll do my best too!" Megumi agreed before the blood drained from her face. Immediately, the girl began to write and eat the 'man' symbol on her palm. "I need to start doing this now, or I won't be able to deal with the pressure!"

"I think it might be a little early to start doing that." Takumi tried to comfort her, to no avail. I rubbed her back soothingly as she feasted on the symbol.

"Oh, yeah. I guess you can have your Mezzaluna back," Soma said, distracting Takumi from his concern.

"Hey, wait a sec, Yukihira! I'm going to get that back by beating you!"