Chapter 26- Unexpected Dip

(Name's POV)

"And the winner of today's festival is..."

A brief moment of silence ensued in the crowd as we anxiously awaited the results.

"...Homura (Name) representing Seichōmura!"

I did it.

Cheers erupted from the spectating crowd behind me, and polite claps were heard from the Whitewater side. I stood in shock for a moment, barely soaking in the victory that I had worked so many years for.

My gaze shifted over the crowd, slowly soaking in the moment as their various expressions registered in my mind.

The corners of my lips twitched up into a smile before the sudden feeling of realization plummeted my victorious mood.

I felt the words leave my lips,

"I... I decline the win."

*~*~*~*

The three weeks at Polar Star passed quickly. With the preparation for the festival and for the Election, I barely noticed how close my return to Seichōmura was until I heard voices talking downstairs.

"See ya', Tadokoro."

"Goodbye, Soma-kun!"

Shoot.

"Megumi-chan!" I exclaimed, dropping my papers covered in recipe notes as I rushed out of my room and dashed down the hall.

I stumbled down the stairs and would have fallen if I hadn't gripped the railing in time.

"Gumi-chan!" I shouted once more, right as she was about to shut the door. The girl opened the door and glanced back into the dorm to find me breathless beside Soma, who looked down upon my slouched figure.

"(Name)-chan! I was wondering why you didn't say goodbye."

"I'm sorry, I was distracted with my work and completely forgot!" I scratched the back of my head in guilt and stood up straight again. "But I thought you leave on Friday?"

"It is Friday." Soma stated as Megumi showed the date on her phone for confirmation.

I stared at the bright little screen for a moment as the information slowly registered in my mind.

"O-oh, my bad!" I laughed off my embarrassment before coughing into my fist awkwardly. "But again, sorry for forgetting. I should have seen you off properly."

"It's alright." She reassured me with a smile. "Well, I have to go now, (Name)-chan, Soma-kun. I hope you have a good break, and good luck on your dishes!"

"Later."

"Bye bye, Megumi-chan."

We both watched as the bluenette waved and shut the door behind her. I then turned to the red head and spoke, "That's weird, I could have sworn it was Tuesday today."

Soma chuckled and looked up into the rather quiet dorm. "Nope, it's Friday. Most everyone has left at this point."

I jolted when I realized he was right. Did I miss everyone else's departure...?

"Wait, who else is still here?"

"Well, there's you, me," Soma pointed a finger at the each of us before crossing his arms again, "...and Fumio-san."

"So... you're telling me I missed everyone else!?" I cried and held my head in dismay. "Why didn't you tell me?! You could have just knocked on my door or something."

"Well, we know how busy you are with preparing. Especially for the festival, right?" Soma scratched his chin as he spoke, the two of us now descending the stairs to the second floor.