Chapter 62 - A Demon of a Dad

That was less nerve-wracking than Takumi thought it would be.

Granted, he wasn't the definition of cool, nor composed when Homura first arrived, but something about her presence felt... welcoming. He found it easy to relax and enjoy the movie even when they were shoulder-to-shoulder on the bed.

Is it because she's so energetic? Takumi wondered as Homura fiddled with charging her phone. Yeah, that must be it. She acted so casual around others, it was almost strange to think this was the same person with whom he confided his insecurities in back during the Elections.

Her warm, lively side... He watched her laugh at a meme on her phone. And her mature, serious side. Takumi wondered if she often showed this side to others, or just him? Perhaps the thought was presumptuous, but he found he liked both sides of her. And he wanted to know more.

As if sensing Takumi's thoughts, something in Homura shifted as she turned towards him. "I can tell you're also thinking about what went down earlier," she said, her voice softer and already more serious than he was used to. It was gentle, welcoming in a way that made Takumi let down his guard.

"There were things the director said that I can't stop thinking about," said Takumi.

"Like what?"

Takumi hesitated. Should he say anything? He was used to withholding his concerns, whether it be for Isami or his friends' sake, but then he remembered what she said to him before. He was allowed to rely on his friends from time to time.

"Just what was it that 'ruined' Joichiro-san? I almost didn't believe it when the director said he battled in a one-on-fifty Shokugeki—and won."

Homura's answer was immediate. "I was thinking the same thing."

Takumi looked at Homura, who sat tall and confident, similar to how Takumi held himself in public (yet the opposite of how he felt when he was around her).

"Had it been any other situation, I'd respect Joichiro-san's privacy. But this has progressed too far," she continued. "Whatever this director's obsession with Joichiro-san is, I think we have the right to know its origins. We deserve answers."

As he listened to her words, Takumi also took in her appearance. She'd changed into casual clothes as opposed to Takumi who was still in his (wrinkled) uniform. But in the way she held herself and the way she spoke, she seemed... mature. Powerful.

It unnerved him.

"I talked to my father, and he said our best bet would be to ask Dojima-senpai about it, if not Joichiro-san himself." Takumi's thoughts were too conflicted to question how her father had anything to do with it.

It was only when she addressed him directly that he snapped back to reality. "What do you think?"

"Huh?" Takumi shook his head. "Oh, uh, ahem. I agree. We should ask Chef Dojima."

She smiled and hopped to her feet, lighting up the room like one of Isami's candles. "Then it's decided! Let's hunt 'em down!"

And just like that, she returned to her usual carefree self. So why did he still feel all jittery inside?

And Takumi realized—it wasn't that she made Takumi feel smaller than he was, but rather, she made him realize his potential. She made him want to become stronger and more confident if it meant being able to stand at her side. This wasn't intimidation; it was admiration.

"I agree," Takumi puffed out his chest, feeling his confidence return. "Let's go speak with Chef Dojima."

Except when Homura went to leave, he shot out his hand without realizing. What was he doing? "(Name)." If that wasn't bad enough, he addressed her so informally!