Chapter 35 - Quarterfinals, Round 1! ; Crabs and Cicadas

(Name)'s POV

"The moment you've waited for is here! It's the finals of the Fall Selection! We will now begin the first battle of the first round!" Urara's cheery voice echoed throughout the stadium.

I sat with my friends and dorm-mates from Polar Star, Kiyoko and Ryou to my left, and Shun and Marui to my right. The girls in front of us readied the banner as we prepared for Soma's entrance.

"First up is the contestant from A Block who tied for 2nd place: Yukihira Soma!" The boy appeared from his end of the stadium, carrying his signature case of knives.

"All right!"

"Good luck Yukihira!"

We cried out in unison with many other students. Huh. Maybe it's just the hype, but it's nice to see him getting more support. Only half a year ago, this entire stadium was booing him as we prepared for his Shokugeki against Nikumi.

That feels so long ago. So much has happened since then. I accidentally bumped elbows with the boy to my left, but Ryou didn't react. A lot has happened.

"Cook 'em dead, Soma-kun!" I shouted, to which Ryou pulled a face. "Y'know, like in a good way."

"There's a good way?"

Soma's opponent, Nakiri Alice, was introduced next. I immediately recognized the 'ufufu' albino girl and recalled how she was related to Erina. They were so different; it wasn't something you'd expect.

I also recalled the crazy, gastronomic dish she'd made for the preliminaries and cringed a little. Gosh, she was so talented. I could learn a lot from her example.

I listened to Marui and Shun discuss Nakiri's abilities beside me. On my other side, Kiyoko watched intently as Ryou tried (and failed) to look disinterested. Clearly he was still bitter about not qualifying.

I leaned over and nodded towards the stage. "What d'you think they're talking about, eh?" He stiffened but for once didn't retract from my proximity, nor try to slap me upside the head. Progress.

Ryou scoffed and shoved his hands in his pockets. "Trash talk, probably."

"You are one hundred percent correct." I'd seen this song and dance before. Soma and Alice were definitely trash-talking.

Hayato appeared and gave a meek wave to us before sitting beside Kiyoko. I tried not to stare as she casually placed her hand over his and began to chat.

Kiyoko shimmied in her seat. "That Nakiri family really is amazing, the lot of them... A whole family of geniuses."

"Her technical skill is no joke, that's for sure." My feet hit the lunchbox I'd packed, and I discreetly pushed it under my seat. Snacks for later. "But Soma-kun is a wildcard all on his own. He's proven to be someone you shouldn't underestimate time and again."

An odd feeling flittered in my stomach as I remembered all the times I'd seen Soma cook — all the times he'd amazed us with a new twist.

And for the first time in a while, I felt genuinely excited. Excited to be here, excited to be involved even if just watching a cooking match. Nervous... but excited.

I unconsciously began to smile. "I can't wait to see him cook."

A siren went off signaling the start, the crowd roaring with fervor. We all cheered as the two hour limit began. The theme: bento boxes.

Two hours seemed like a long time in theory when spectating a cooking match, but it flies by fast once you get into it. A few times there were murmurs of uncertainty amongst our group, but my confidence in Soma was unwavering. He'd push through this.