Chapter 33- Crab Cake Closure

(Name)'s POV

The party started off slow, to be honest, with everyone still snacking lightly as they waited to crack open the rice juice—the "technically legal for minor consumption, I think," according to Yuki. Nonetheless, once more people started showing, the celebration was quick to swing into action.

And strangely after what occurred today, I was in a party type of mood. Any hate or frustration I felt was washed away by the surrounding chatter of my friends, which I wholeheartedly embraced.

'Knock knock'

An audible yet timid tap sounded on the door, and I passed a plate of egg rolls to Daigo before rushing over to answer it.

"Welcome! I hope you've got your party socks on 'cause—oh, Hayato-san!" I beamed at the sight of the boy and opened the door wider. "I'm so glad you came! Come in, come in."

He greeted me gently and shuffled inside. His eyes darted around nervously as he took in the various people in the room and took a slow breath. Suspecting something like this would have happened, I let out a pronounced 'ahem' to catch the attention of a nearby brunette.

"Oh, Hayato-kun. What a pleasant surprise!" Kiyoko's soft voice called out as she walked over.

The boy brightened at what I assumed was a familiar face and straightened up a little. "Kiyoko-san! It's good to see you; were... were you also invited?" He stuttered but didn't seem to grow embarrassed as I'd seen him do before.

The girl gave a patient nod and explained how she and Ryou had moved in that day. Hayato's lips tightened a little at the mention of her cousin, but he listened politely as they continued to talk.

I was correct in assuming they'd met before after seeing the way Kiyoko looked at him during the prelims. I quietly excused myself and left them to their conversation.

A brief glance around the room revealed the many happenings of the party: Yuki and Ikumi were no doubt discussing meat, Ryoko was explaining the properties of rice fermentation to the Aldini's, Soma was watching in amusement as Ryou attempted to talk to Megumi, and Shoji and Daigo were teasing Marui over his "cheerleading squad." The latter was still annoyed with us using his room for parties, but did little more than whisper his complaints aloud.

Shun was nowhere in sight, however, and I frowned at the absence of the boy and his little paper cup. Perhaps he'd join us later? I understood how he might need some time to himself after losing.

The Regina George pink that Ryou was currently sporting on his face was only a shade away from reaching a Soma the Echidna scarlet, and I hurriedly scurried over to join the fun.

The brunet saw my approaching figure and blanched.

"A-ah, I believe I'm in need of more refreshments. If you'd excuse me–" He attempted to duck out of the conversation, but I was quicker.

"I gotchu, my man." I replaced his empty cup with my own full one and added, "Don't worry, it's not poisoned or anything like that this time."

"This time?" I heard the other two mutter to themselves.

Now stripped of his excuse to leave, Ryou stood there stiffly and gave me a forced grin. "Gee, thanks a lot..."

Wondering how much farther I could push my luck, I brought my hand down to clasp his shoulder tightly. "Anything you say, pal."

Megumi and Soma continued to look at the two of us when Soma asked, "Wait, you two know each other, right? I'm pretty sure I've seen you guys talk before."