Chapter 28 - Splat

(Name)'s POV

I woke up in a cold sweat.

"Hibiki."

I shuddered as I recalled my actions from last night. I'm not sure what caused me to wake up at 5:56 in the morning, but the pit of guilt weighing down my stomach seemed a probable suspect.

I treated him horribly last night... I lamented miserably to myself. And he no doubt waited a long time at the gates, even after searching for me all those hours before.

I sat up straight and clenched the sheets tightly in my hands. I have to make it up to him!

Overcome with a rush of motivation and energy, I rolled out of bed and quickly ran through my morning routine. Rushing into the kitchen, I pulled out the ingredients I needed and set to work.

I walked over to the oven and began to preheat it. Hopefully he'll forgive me for what I did yesterday, I thought as I rolled out the dough and prepared the filling.

Of course he will! I inwardly comforted myself as I placed the dessert inside the oven and set the timer. The timer dinged after the set amount of time, and I removed its contents, basking in its warm scent.

After all, I placed it on a towel before wrapping it up and placing it into a wicker basket, Hibiki loves apple pie!

I loaded the basket with plates, napkins, a thermos, and other utensils, and then hooking my arm through the handle, I carefully picked up the basket and checked the time.

'7:02'

Perfect. I smiled and slipped on my shoes. Hibiki should just be waking up and starting his work by now. Maybe he's still asleep and I can surprise him.

I exited the restaurant, making sure to leave a note for my family, and walked through the village. Not many people were out yet, which was strange considering how most of my neighbors were early risers.

Perhaps they're tired from the festival yesterday. Or maybe they also stayed up late looking for me... My mind flashed back to Hibiki, and I remembered my mission. No time to worry; I must get this to Hibiki.

Ignoring the few people who were out, I was grateful they didn't bother or ask me questions if they did see me. In minutes, I arrived at the Akiyama farm.

I opened the gate and entered cautiously, mindful of the pie. As I approached the family's house, however, I noticed the cows and sheep were already out grazing, as well as the chickens.

Did Hibiki already finish his work?

I walked up to the house and knocked. Seconds later, I was greeted by his mother.

"Oh, hello (Name)-chan. How are you?"

"Ah! Good morning, Mrs. Akiy--Maki-san." I corrected myself upon seeing her facial expression.

"What's brought you here so bright and early?" The woman smiled warmly, a near-identical version of her son's. Her expression softened slightly. "I'm glad to see you're doing better."

"Thank you. And I, uh, brought something for Hibiki-kun." I smiled sheepishly and gestured to the basket in my arms. "Is he here by any chance?"

A frown overtook the woman's face, and she tilted her head to rest in her hand. "Oh, sorry dear, but he just left to make some deliveries to Whitewater."

My shoulders slumped slightly at this piece of news. "Oh."

"I'd offer you a horse to borrow, but my husband currently has one while he's out on business, and our other is with Hibiki." She smiled apologetically.